Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

U Pull It is slowly dying

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I've bought most of my cars from interstate.

The used car market is 10x larger on the east coast which leads to better prices on cars due to availability.

Went to QLD to get a Lexus for the old man which was $11k cheaper than any for sale in SA.

I have heard similar stories, where cars are cheaper interstate...A mate bought a new Mustang from Vic, as it was $3K cheaper delivered here from Vic, than he could get here....I also used to deal with Peter Kittle Toyota...He actually sent cars from here interstate so he could make more money....Peter Kittle has yards in N.T and Alice springs, so that where he sent them....

So yes, need to keep a keen eye on the market Australia wide, for the bargains

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
I have heard similar stories, where cars are cheaper interstate...A mate bought a new Mustang from Vic, as it was $3K cheaper delivered here from Vic, than he could get here....I also used to deal with Peter Kittle Toyota...He actually sent cars from here interstate so he could make more money....Peter Kittle has yards in N.T and Alice springs, so that where he sent them....

So yes, need to keep a keen eye on the market Australia wide, for the bargains
Peter Kittle started in Alice :) random bit of info I know :D

My comment that started this interstate convo was about how I didn't understand the interstate buyers buying esalvage from SA to sell in NSW as seems pricey to buy here for what they would make selling in NSW after transport costs on top of purchase & auction costs. How much are they getting out of a $3K hammer price on a smashed up 2nd gen V8 after adding fees & transport etc.

I understand buying elsewhere & bringing back to SA, as I have done that a few times. Often a better buy over the border.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Peter Kittle started in Alice :) random bit of info I know :D

My comment that started this interstate convo was about how I didn't understand the interstate buyers buying esalvage from SA to sell in NSW as seems pricey to buy here for what they would make selling in NSW after transport costs on top of purchase & auction costs. How much are they getting out of a $3K hammer price on a smashed up 2nd gen V8 after adding fees & transport etc.

I understand buying elsewhere & bringing back to SA, as I have done that a few times. Often a better buy over the border.

Mr Kittle...Very, very smart businessman....Last count he had 4 or 5 yards between the NT and S.A....The furtherest yard I am aware of is in Port Lincoln...He took a big financial hit when he bought Smiths at Port Adelaide....Last time I went past about 3 months ago, it was still empty....

As for how the interstate buying/selling and money making.....There are some smart business people out there that would know what they can get for parts quickly to make it worthwhile with the interstate buying and transport.....Maybe we need to to into their brain to make it worth our while... :)

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
What do wreckers usually pay for their cars ?

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
What do wreckers usually pay for their cars ?
IME Depends on the wrecker/the cars

Used to be UPI had a standing $300 bid at salvage a few years ago. So anyone else needed to bid over that if they wanted anything.
Doesn’t sound like much but it’s probably higher now.

When I was there frequently the regulars would be anywhere from a few hundred to $8k or so for most of what I was paying attention to just for wrecking. More on the repairable. Did see people paying $50k for rolled dual cab Utes with 5,000kms sometimes.

‘Prestige’ salvage is a whole other section where luxury and performance goes and that’s not in my budget to play in :D

Reactions: Lex

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
Have a mate that works in a wrecking yard.....His boss buys truck loads from interstate so he can make a buck...He generally looks at ones that have good motors and/or gearboxes that sell quickly, so he makes his money quick smart....From there, the rest is cream on top
so true. i bought a wrecked VZ crewman from NSW wanted the interior bits as mine was a ex work car and a mess. Used all the interior stuff and hard lid and brake booster, sold motor box, diff etc was the cream on top. You learn crewman parts like diffs etc are worth a bit.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
so true. i bought a wrecked VZ crewman from NSW wanted the interior bits as mine was a ex work car and a mess. Used all the interior stuff and hard lid and brake booster, sold motor box, diff etc was the cream on top. You learn crewman parts like diffs etc are worth a bit.
there was a clearance sale a few months back and they had half a dozen crewmans with stupid price tags #crewmantax. All got passed in at the auction. Haven't really seen them pop up again to know where they went.

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH statesman
There's another commodore specific one run by a couple of meth head looking guys opposite the old Holden plant too (Northern Commodore spares comes to mind I think), I bought some chrome window trims for the VR from them and they were very very sketchy.

You can tell straight up, that wrecking commodores isn't their main business considering they don't open until like 10:45-11am, deal in cash and look like they're coming down from the previous night still :p
Thankyou for your review of our business.

I'm glad we could help you with the chrome trims but the judgements of our appearances are not appreciated. I can assure you that neither of us use any drugs.

We have been wrecking Commodores and statesmans etc for several years now, that is all we do, there is no other 'main business'

We are open 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday so not sure where you got your information about our opening hours.

We do accept cash and we also accept direct bank transfers, no eftpos facilities available as it's proving difficult to have internet/wifi connected to the property due to the condition the previous occupants left it in.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by 'they were very very sketchy?

We aim to provide quality parts at an affordable price and offer a 30 day warranty on mechanical parts.

Thankyou.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Thankyou for your review of our business.

I'm glad we could help you with the chrome trims but the judgements of our appearances are not appreciated. I can assure you that neither of us use any drugs.

We have been wrecking Commodores and statesmans etc for several years now, that is all we do, there is no other 'main business'

We are open 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday so not sure where you got your information about our opening hours.

We do accept cash and we also accept direct bank transfers, no eftpos facilities available as it's proving difficult to have internet/wifi connected to the property due to the condition the previous occupants left it in.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by 'they were very very sketchy?

We aim to provide quality parts at an affordable price and offer a 30 day warranty on mechanical parts.

Thankyou.
Maybe I'm mistaken with another wrecker in the area and if I have I do apologise.

Your response is super professional and shows that this is certainly not the case, this was a long time ago and it could have easily been a case of mistaken identity, theres a lot of commodore wreckers, of which I've been to most, many with similar names in the same area after all.

More wreckers in the area should have an active account in the forums like this, with professional posts written well it shows good business sense! I have edited my original post, wishing you all the best!

Last edited: