Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Umemployed?

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
minux said:
sixshooter, you seem very confident that just a diploma will get you a high paying job. No offence, but if you want high paying, you really need uni. Tafe only teaches you enough of the basics to get by. Why didnt you jst do something like A+ with MSCE? Loads of people looking for MSCE's and the pay is always good.
Sorry bud, not trying to get you down, its great to see people re-educating themselves, just saying what i know from working in this area.

Yeah that may be so in some fields... However the qualifications I will obtain if I get through this unscathed will more than get me a foot in the door of employers or uni degree courses. Tafe Diploma's are in fact credited half of a uni degree ! I can in another 12 mths after obtaining the Diploma walk in and say thankyou very much I'll have one of those positions in a Computer Science undergraduate course and only need to complete half of the course to obtain the degree. Thats without having to beat anyone else to the position. :)

I see what you are trying to say but I know I am headed in the right direction. The Diploma at the end is just a piece of paper. It's the experience that I will gain in programming over the 2 years in doing the Diploma that will the best asset added to my skills base. I have spoken to people who have taken on Computer Science degrees and have dropped them after a year because the weren't prepared enough to deal with it. They couldn't comprehend much of what was tutored because they were just too raw for the IT field. To me that's a waste of time and money racking up a mighty HEC's account and getting nothing in the end when they could have started at the Diploma level and seen what they were getting themselves into. ;)

Btw I abhor A++ any trained monkey can put a computer together ! LOL:p

Java Sun Certification however is more appealing.

Btw...FYI entry level junior programmers are payed anywhere from $40K and up PA... Systems Analysts get anywhere around $70K PA and up... and Database Administrators earn around $80K and up... either of these jobs could be on the horizon for me in the not too distant future.

If I'm not earning over $50K PA within the next few years I'll be mighty pissed. :ranting:

Well minux good luck to you with your further studies :thumbsup:

I hope you haven't been out of study for too long as it's a fast learning pace these days and so much knowledge is taken for granted as already understood !

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
VT-Berlina said:
Some good info from reaper and vystorm. I think the problem with some ppl is thay want alot of money for nothing an if thay dont like it thay quit. which leaves the ones that want the work a bad name. im lookn for work that i can learn from others and also be able to work as a team. nothin like tryn to do everything your self. work in a team and u will always be greatfull. like i have said id be happy with 450 in the hand if its more than its a bonus too me. its just tryn to get the job 1st lol.

Alot of employers expect ppl too be fully skilled which leave ppl like me who really want too learn but cant get the opportunity. plus its not about spelling an the way u speak thats crap. i cant spell very good, u dont need to have a pass in every class to get a job look at alot of the builders half of them didnt even go thro skool. im talkn the ones b4 our generation. :) like our dads n that.

But alot comes down to the employerr aswell as the employee. All i hate is when employers dont wonna give ya a go an think everybody is fully skilled rr :(

thats my 2 cents lol

cheers for reading :)

I don't know your industry but maybe start out as a T/A or similar. If you (say) wanted to get into motor mechanics, maybe try for (whatever) job will get you in the door - sweeping floors, fitting tyres, anything so long as the company does whatever it is you want to aim for.

Don't expect them to "teach" you anything. Most of these guys aren't school teachers and frankly don't know how. One way to get around it is to always watch what the others are doing and ask the odd question here and there. It's a fine line between asking questions and being annoying. The key is to watch the good guys and think about what you have seen.

Next, (get yourself established doing whatever you are supposed to be doing extremely well first!!!!) ask if you can give something else a go (eg change brake pads). Just small but usefull stuff and take tiny steps at a time. After a while you will get the confidence of the others and they will love to teach you stuff and you will eventually become the "go too guy" when somebody wants something done.

Don't be impatient. It can take years to get to "guru" level but the satisfaction is far greater than any pay packet (although this does look after itself along the way - trust me on that one!)

Reaper

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
thanks for the info Reaper aprecitate it, yeh atm im after TA,Warehouse,factory work, but im waitn to hear bak about an app on the 31st, like said b4 im not holdn my breath an cant expect to wait on that to work out so im still lookin in the mean time :)

cheers

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
VT-Berlina said:
thanks for the info Reaper aprecitate it, yeh atm im after TA,Warehouse,factory work, but im waitn to hear bak about an app on the 31st, like said b4 im not holdn my breath an cant expect to wait on that to work out so im still lookin in the mean time :)

cheers

Vt-Berlina... While you are trying to obtain work... you could pass the time with a TAFE 6 month Pre-Vocation training course... you'd learn everything a first year apprentice learns in 6 months... and if you can land an apprenticeship afterwards you will start at the year level 2 in prior recognition of your Pre-Voc course... just some food for thought there !

Employers like skilled workers !!!

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
yeh i have heard about the Pre-Voc course apparantly u need to do one b4 u can work or get work in a mechanic shop? i have tryed to find out about it but the person on the other end of the fone is like yup we will send u out info btu never comes :( but all in all fingers crossed for the 31st coz if i get in ill be startn 4th next month i was told :)

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
VT-Berlina said:
yeh i have heard about the Pre-Voc course apparantly u need to do one b4 u can work or get work in a mechanic shop? i have tryed to find out about it but the person on the other end of the fone is like yup we will send u out info btu never comes :( but all in all fingers crossed for the 31st coz if i get in ill be startn 4th next month i was told :)

I don't know who you were talking to at the other end of the "fone" but the answer is to go visit the tafe website (or better still visit the tafe!) and find the information yourself. Its' very common for people to complain that they didn't achieve whatever because the other bloke let me down one way or another but quite rare for the winners to say they won because of the other guy.

Ron Barrassi - if it is to be, it's up to me.

Reaper

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
You guys are a bit fussy :) I'd take any job that was 15$ an hour, maybe less. It has to be better than 0$

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
I just have to add after reading some other responses. Some people's resumes read like uni or tafe course listings and with the amount of study people have listed they should be experts in their field but their job experience tells otherwise.

Be wary of how much study you list on your resume as it can some times come across that you look like a professional student with not much effort to get in the workforce. This may not be true, but sometimes people change study directions quite a bit, so it may be better to only list the study undertaken for the appropriate field you are applying to work in.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
ive been looking for casual/part time work for the last 3 years to no avail. :cry: there is absolutly nothing in Nowra. :bang:

Any who lives in nowra or the local area got any vacent positions????????????

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
sixshooter said:
Yeah that may be so in some fields... However the qualifications I will obtain if I get through this unscathed will more than get me a foot in the door of employers or uni degree courses. Tafe Diploma's are in fact credited half of a uni degree ! I can in another 12 mths after obtaining the Diploma walk in and say thankyou very much I'll have one of those positions in a Computer Science undergraduate course and only need to complete half of the course to obtain the degree. Thats without having to beat anyone else to the position. :)

I see what you are trying to say but I know I am headed in the right direction. The Diploma at the end is just a piece of paper. It's the experience that I will gain in programming over the 2 years in doing the Diploma that will the best asset added to my skills base. I have spoken to people who have taken on Computer Science degrees and have dropped them after a year because the weren't prepared enough to deal with it. They couldn't comprehend much of what was tutored because they were just too raw for the IT field. To me that's a waste of time and money racking up a mighty HEC's account and getting nothing in the end when they could have started at the Diploma level and seen what they were getting themselves into. ;)

Btw I abhor A++ any trained monkey can put a computer together ! LOL:p

Java Sun Certification however is more appealing.

Btw...FYI entry level junior programmers are payed anywhere from $40K and up PA... Systems Analysts get anywhere around $70K PA and up... and Database Administrators earn around $80K and up... either of these jobs could be on the horizon for me in the not too distant future.

If I'm not earning over $50K PA within the next few years I'll be mighty pissed. :ranting:

Well minux good luck to you with your further studies :thumbsup:

I hope you haven't been out of study for too long as it's a fast learning pace these days and so much knowledge is taken for granted as already understood !

Well good luck to it all :)

I was just using A++ simply because most companies like a long list of bullshit :)

Study is no problem, with my job, i am involved in alot of technical aspects that would piss most people off. For example, 4 of the last 8 months i spent researching all the new NSW workcover laws to implement new work plans into the business..i could go on but iw ont.
I am sure i will have no problem. Best of luck with your studies bud :) :thumbsup: