Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

umm i fink i broke mi hu

jamiekratin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series II 'S' Pac Ute 5L
i was installing mi hu and i turned it on to test it and it sparked and turned off and now wont turn back on it didnt blow the fuse have i short circuited it cause now i wont turn on if it is shorted is there anything i can do other than buy a new one

camvyss

Doof, Doof, Doof
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 SS 5.7L A4
Umm that's really not good. Did you wire power to the wrong wire? I'd hesitate to say that unless something went wrong inside the unit by no fault of your own then your warranty is out the window.

You just might be up for a new unit. Might be an idea to let a shop install that one.

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
thats a bummer! ive shorted out many a hu in my life, but never had them blow. try putting the negative and the positive on the battery. if your lucky you might have melted a wire on the hu harness in the dash. dont like your chances though. but try it

jamiekratin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series II 'S' Pac Ute 5L
it makes a small spark when i tocuh the power wire from the headunit to the constant power under the dash is this a good sign or does it make no difference

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
What head unit?

Why is everyone so eager to recommend a new head unit when something goes faulty??? Repairs can be cheap... And you can always get a quote if you're worried about it being expensive. If it's under a year old and you still have the purchase details, it's likely to be repaired under warranty anyway.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Because generally you see HU that are under $300 on here....and how often are the worth repairing? Your right, some repairs can be quite cheap but some can be hella expensive.

Besides, we live in a disposable world, Stone.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
No, it's not doubtful... They cannot definitively prove that you caused it, so they cover it. If not complain to their MD, that always gets results.

camvyss

Doof, Doof, Doof
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 SS 5.7L A4
Not having a go at you directly Stone but give me 5 minutes with the headunit and I could point out to you whether it was user error or a manufacturing defect. It's what I do all day long.

If a wire was put in backwards after the fuse then the damage on the internal CCT would be plainly evident. If however the unit itself had a fault then you would see a different pattern likely the damage moving from a central point instead of the power CCT.

In this case and often many like it the parts and time necessary to repair what is often an inexpensive headunit is not worth it, people just tend towards getting a new unit.

Cheers