Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Unable to open Fuel flap...

eetmesoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SEDAN...AND A VE TOO!
wheeled into a garage to buy fuel at a decent price, was only yo do a "Top Up" pushed on the fuel flap to open it up...NOPE!

Had keys on me so locked and unlocked the car...pushed on fuel flap again...still locked!

WTF is going on? Why? Tried to use the key to try to pry flap open; then realised I was NOT going to break my key doing that crap...unlocked the boot to hope I could find a flat headed screwdriver...of course, no such luck...bu did find a Paddle Pop stick...tried it to find it helped a little...was going to just forget buying fuel but had one more go at it...was able to pen the flap and then filled up.

Tried to manually manoeuver the plastic rod [appeared as though that was the part which is supposed to allow fuel flap access when car is unlocked...it wouldn't budge! My guess is that was what had failed to work as it should and which had stopped me from opening the fuel flap by pushing it inwards...

Question; anyone else had a similar occurrence? Suggestions for a fix or to over ride the fault?

Whilst searching for answers here...saw a number of other Members who admitted to not being able to open the fuel flap at their first attempt in a VE...must admit; happened to me...had to sit in car and google up a reason on my phone the first time it happened to me! But glad to see I was not the only one...though having this issue occur today...think I prefer the older VR - VZ locking system...

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Agreed. There should at least be a manual release cable accessible in the boot

eetmesoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SEDAN...AND A VE TOO!
Fu Manchu...are you able to describe how/where to access from inside boot compartment? Only ever seen the what I thought was the release cable to unlock the boot...accessed from the fold down section from the middle of the rear seat...

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
There’s not. I’m just saying they should have designed one. Like they have for emergency boot release.

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L
wheeled into a garage to buy fuel at a decent price, was only yo do a "Top Up" pushed on the fuel flap to open it up...NOPE!

Had keys on me so locked and unlocked the car...pushed on fuel flap again...still locked!

WTF is going on? Why? Tried to use the key to try to pry flap open; then realised I was NOT going to break my key doing that crap...unlocked the boot to hope I could find a flat headed screwdriver...of course, no such luck...bu did find a Paddle Pop stick...tried it to find it helped a little...was going to just forget buying fuel but had one more go at it...was able to pen the flap and then filled up.

Tried to manually manoeuver the plastic rod [appeared as though that was the part which is supposed to allow fuel flap access when car is unlocked...it wouldn't budge! My guess is that was what had failed to work as it should and which had stopped me from opening the fuel flap by pushing it inwards...

Question; anyone else had a similar occurrence? Suggestions for a fix or to over ride the fault?

Whilst searching for answers here...saw a number of other Members who admitted to not being able to open the fuel flap at their first attempt in a VE...must admit; happened to me...had to sit in car and google up a reason on my phone the first time it happened to me! But glad to see I was not the only one...though having this issue occur today...think I prefer the older VR - VZ locking system...
did you make sure that you double unlocked the remote/keyfob???

this once happened to me & then i realised that the VE Commodores need to have ALL the doors unlocked so that the fuel flap opens.

Just pressing the key remote once & having the drivers door unlocked WILL NOT allow the fuel flap to open

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L
Mine opens with just the driver's door unlocked.
Yeh its a weird issue but it (the fuel flap) may jam up from time to time, not too sure but i recall that i needed to have all 4 doors unlocked.

It may be an anti-theft (fuel theft) implementation built into the VE Commies.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Yeh its a weird issue but it (the fuel flap) may jam up from time to time, not too sure but i recall that i needed to have all 4 doors unlocked.

It may be an anti-theft (fuel theft) implementation built into the VE Commies.
Might be early VE's, both of mine only require one press.
Your actuator might be failing?