Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Unable to seperate driveshaft, any ideas?

davs

Reaction score
Members Ride
TBA
My VX series 1 sedan (240,000km) has a non-serviceable centre bearing which I'm in the process of changing over. I've taken the shaft out of the car and am up to the point where I need to separate the driveshaft into two so I can take off the old bearing and install the new one.

My previously read threads suggest the driveshaft should separate into two pieces (near the universal joint) fairly easily, however mine won't budge. I've tried sitting on the ground with one end of the tailshaft at my feet and pulling the other end with no success. I've also tried hammering the inside end against a block of wood again without success. Finally, I tried hammering a punch into the bearing area which didn't work for me either.

I don't have a vice or a press and am running out of ideas on how to get the shaft apart. I'll try and spray some WD40 around the bearing in the meantime. Should I hang it vertically somehow and bash the end down without a block of wood?

I'm thinking it'd be a possibility having to take the shaft to a mechanic and see if they have a press or some other way to separate it. Anyone done this and have a general cost I'd be looking at? Car is obviously undrivable at the moment :doh:

Thanks.

D

devilly

from memory i used vice and rubber mallet and bashed it really good :) can you get a second hand one while your working on yours.i have heard some of them are really tuff to separate and need a press,and even then it may not come apart.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
You have obviously undone the 6 allen head bolts? It only takes a light tap in the lip of the flange and it will pop apart. Make sure it is marked on both halves though so it goes back together in the same position. Once apart, you have to mark the CV as well so it goes back together and the internal spline when you take the circlip off. It all has to go back together in the same position so it doesn't upset the balance.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
My bad, I was thinking they are the same as the earlier models but they aren't. You will need to hold the half without the uni joint and smack the centre bearing with a mallet, it will pull apart.

davs

Reaction score
Members Ride
TBA
No worries.

I've seen that video a few times and followed exactly that. Problem was I not using a "big hammer". Bought a 3kg sledge from Bunnings and gave the ends a number of good smacks and it came loose eventually. I laid the shaft on a wooden packing pallet and used that for leverage so didn't need a vice.

To remove the centre bearing I used a cold chisel and aforementioned mallet. Came off quite easily. I've now replaced the centre bearing and rear donut. Reinstall into the car was straight forward as well - didn't need to remove anything like exhaust like the service manual says.

I did mark the tailshaft pieces before separating which made realignment easy, however I didn't mark the alignment at the diff before removing :fewl:. Now, I've got that well known vibration from about 50km/h. I'm hoping unbolting the tailshaft from the flexjoint and the diff end and rotating 180 degrees (or 120 degrees?) will restore the balance. Otherwise, I might have reassembled the two tailshaft ends a spline or two apart as my mark wasn't across the joint, rather just an 'X' at both ends. I didn't realise they were so sensitive.

D

devilly

i always think of the tailshaft as the back bone of the car :) nice well done.you might wanna check the torque on all bolts after going for a spin if they become loose then it will vibrate again.i like using a paint pen :) so i put bright pink marks everywhere :)

davs

Reaction score
Members Ride
TBA
Yeah rechecked the bolts and ended up being a loose front wheel! Tightened those up and it's silent as expected for a 15 year old car.

I won't be giving up my day job any time soon!