Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Underbody Aero Panels

Blackout

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
I am very curious on this subject & have been for ages.
Has any business anywhere in Australia actually made a good/great undercarriage aerodynamic full body aero panels?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Yes. One in WA does bash plates for Adventras which amount to the same thing. No reason someone in their back yard couldn’t knock up something from some flat plate and cardboard templates.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Someone would have to care … you’re not going to make the cost back in fuel economy, and you can’t see it so it’d be a relatively-uncommon desire to want them fitted just to know they’re there.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Someone would have to care … you’re not going to make the cost back in fuel economy, and you can’t see it so it’d be a relatively-uncommon desire to want them fitted just to know they’re there.
It’s like almost any other mod.

The car owner has to care enough to do the mod, whatever it is, because invariably it never returns on investment, so is money down the drain :oops:

The knowledge of a job well done, sadly mods aren’t always well done, the satisfaction of DIY and the feeling of standing apart from their fellow car owners is probably what drives moders.

The emotional drivers generally ain’t economics. If it (economics) was such a rational thing (a driver of behaviour) we’d probably all be driving really fuel efficient appliances :p

(edited to fix spelling and for clarity)

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
It’s like almost any other mod.

The care owner has to care enough to do the mod, whatever it is, because invariably it never returns on investment so is money down the drain :oops:

The knowledge of a job well done, sadly mods aren’t always well done, the satisfaction of DIY and the feeling of standing apart from their fellow car owners is probably what drives moders.

The emotional drivers generally ain’t economics. If it was such a rational thing, we’d probably all be driving really fuel efficient appliances :p
Yep, agreed 100%; and I think anyone caring about that particular mod enough to do it is going to be super rare, for the reasons stated. That’s why I said finding someone who’d bothered to manufacture the bits would be unlikely, just not enough of a market!

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
Plus, you'd have to be doing all servicing yourself, take them off beforehand, or expect massive bills. Your mechanic/dealership service department will hate you.
Is it really that difficult . I would have thought most of the servicing are engine bay related which has a small cover with a few easy to get to bolts and the rest are separate pieces that could be taken of as needed . I am referring to factory underbody kit which has been determined to do little if anything at all aerodynamicly but maybe 50% there ? Behind the diff to the rear deffuser is the main problem area especially the utes ( no factory kit made ) with the spare empty tire well and the parachute type rear bumper . I am confident that a reasonable complete undfloor would result in better fuel economy ducts (ducks for cover), higher top speed and downforce at 100km +++. Yes a lot of work that no one will ever see or hear

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
I am confident that a reasonable complete undfloor would result in better fuel economy ducts (ducks for cover), higher top speed and downforce at 100km +++.
I think you’re entirely correct, but I think the fuel economy improvement would be of the order of half a percent (or an amount that’d be varied more by the differences in driving-behaviour people display from day-to-day), the top speed probably goes from 215km/h to 218km/h, and the downforce probably makes no difference unless you’re trying to round a corner at 170km/h.

So while there would be a tiny proportion of owners who could get some sort of advantage, the other 99.99% wouldn’t get anything measurable out of it.

As Skylarking says; it’d be better, and no doubt about that. But in order to bother you’d primarily want to be happy with the knowledge that the car was better, rather than wanting to see any measurable change.

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
Lol you could be %100 correct I don't have anything to prove or disprove your comments. I guess without proper testing it's just guessing. It would not be the first time I have invested time and money and been bitterly disappointed in the results. Actually it's been lots of times I'm sure I'll get it right next time