Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

underdrive pulley kit pros and cons?

FAB6LT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Hey guys, i have a ve ss and the harmonic balancer is wobbling. So i thought i may as well put in a 25% underdrive kit instead of replacing it wit a standard one.

Does anyone knowthe benefits and drawbacks of the 25% underdrive kit? I dont have a cam only have headers, cats and exhaust. Cheers!!

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
I'm putting one on mine in a few weeks when the cam goes in. Supposedly it takes the stress off the engine so for the extra $400 odd bucks i went with the advice of my tuner and decided to whack one on.

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
it slows down the accessories (alt,pwr steer/ac) which frees up engine HP

undersuspicion

Now That's How We Roll!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy SV8 Series 2
can an underdriven pulley i.e. 25% do any damage to alt/power steering buy having them run at a lower %?

undersuspicion

Now That's How We Roll!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy SV8 Series 2
Rather, are then any risks when installing one? Can it damage anything?

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
can an underdriven pulley i.e. 25% do any damage to alt/power steering buy having them run at a lower %?
itll help more i reckon cause when you rev the tits off the engine theyll be spinning slower so they wont wear out seals and such as easily

FAB6LT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
i heard from some that they work best once a cams installed. thats why i wondered if it was worth putting one on

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
itll help more i reckon cause when you rev the tits off the engine theyll be spinning slower so they wont wear out seals and such as easily

In saying that at idle and low rpm its all running slower, ive heard of a few lads having alt charging problems ect, ive got bought all my cam stuff i decided not to get one

Z3RO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8
I bought one of these for my VE V6 and it arrived in the post today. I comes with a harmonic balancer that is HUGE, 2 pulleys and a gator belt that has more traction than a tyre.

The honest part here is that I have NO idea at all how to put this on my car.

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
I bought one of these for my VE V6 and it arrived in the post today. I comes with a harmonic balancer that is HUGE, 2 pulleys and a gator belt that has more traction than a tyre.

The honest part here is that I have NO idea at all how to put this on my car.

just take the old one off and put the new one on the same way you took the old one off... thats how i've figured out all the stuff with my car anyway