Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Updating PCM in 08 VE Omega

Cellpoise

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega 08
Hi there, i’m having a strange problem with my car, bad timing chain codes and engine lights along with bad drive etc, bad timing chain replaced and now it drives good as new but after a while it trips out again and does same as before, but when clearing the codes it drives good as new for hours. I have heard about a software update holden put out to change the tolerances on the sensors, how would I go about getting this tolerances changed in modern day?

slipknot09

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
May be worth calling a few service centres if no one else here has a better solution. Any one with a subscription and the tools could do it but the price for them to do it would be pretty similar I would assume. I personally have zero experience with working on alloy tech motor but was always told to avoid purchasing one. The guys here do often say positive things about them tho which I like to hear

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Sounds more like the sensors are doing exactly what they are designed to do.

Clear codes and then codes come back after several start cycles. When conditions for logging the codes are being met, the check engine light is being activated.

You need to understand that the codes don’t tell us what needs fixing as such. They provide a start point for investigating the conditions for the code.

You will need to list the codes for us to give you a rough guide. However you will need a technician with a subscription to Holden/GM firmware to do updates. It will cost because the subscriptions cost the workshop.

I would find a Holden dealership for that kind of software stuff.

Be sure to understand that an assumption that there’s something wrong with the module because codes are generated is misguided. Codes are generated because conditions for them to occur are being met.

Cellpoise

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega 08
Sounds more like the sensors are doing exactly what they are designed to do.

Clear codes and then codes come back after several start cycles. When conditions for logging the codes are being met, the check engine light is being activated.

You need to understand that the codes don’t tell us what needs fixing as such. They provide a start point for investigating the conditions for the code.

You will need to list the codes for us to give you a rough guide. However you will need a technician with a subscription to Holden/GM firmware to do updates. It will cost because the subscriptions cost the workshop.

I would find a Holden dealership for that kind of software stuff.

Be sure to understand that an assumption that there’s something wrong with the module because codes are generated is misguided. Codes are generated because conditions for them to occur are being met.
I would put a screenshot of the codes up but it’s too big to upload so i’ll have to list them. i’ve got P0011 P0014 P0024 P0300 and P0021. The P0300 for the misfires only comes up after the sensors trip out and it starts running bad so it’s not misfiring through normal driving. Any help / advice is much appreciated

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
If you want to post a photo, take the pic. view the photo and then turn your phone the opposite orientation. Screen shot and crop. Upload the cropped screen shot.

Cellpoise

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega 08
670D1F5C-0E73-47F9-A176-66236BA1082D.jpeg
that worked great, thanks.

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
Just out of curiosity, did they change the oil pump when they did the chains? Im wondering if its not a lowish oil pressure not pumping up the tensioners for the timing chain. Or that after a while of running the pump drops pressure enough for this to happen. Just guessing here. May be completely off base

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Good call in my opinion.

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
That’s not strange if oil pressure to the tensioners is compromised.