Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Using a trolley jack on a VZ

SHFTVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ Executive
So, I just want to confirm if it is OK to jack up for example my VZ SV6 via the diff? Since the handbrake only controls the rear wheels, is it OK to just chok the front wheels with bricks or what do you guys recommend to stop the car from rolling around? I have a nice open area I can jack up my car in but there is no where with an exactly flat surface, so I just want to make sure I'm doing it the best way because I know the car will want to move a bit since where I am going to jack it up is on a bit of a slant.

Thanks guys.

P.S I have been reading on other posts about jacking up the front of a VZ via a cross member?? Is there a possibility that anyone could take a photo of the cross member that people are talking about and post it on here so that I am 100% sure I am doing it right.

Cheers

Iv gotta do some car work anyway... I'll take a pic mate :)

helmotbros

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
Last edited:

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
seriously if you need too ask this question maybe working on your car is above your knowledge, if you got down on your knees and looked under the front off the car bingo its there

Nothing wrong with asking. The first time I worked under a car using a trolley jack and stands I spent hours reading on forums and researching on youtube to make sure I did it safely. Better to ask what a crossmember is than try and jack up a car by the sump and damage something

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
I always jack up my VZ SV6 from the diff for the rear and use the K frame, between the 2 x's for the front.

The issue i have, which others may too, with standard FE2 suspension.. i have to use the scissor jack on a side to get enough room for my trolley jack under front so i keep both jacks in my car all the time.

helmotbros

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
The issue i have, which others may too, with standard FE2 suspension.. i have to use the scissor jack on a side to get enough room for my trolley jack under front so i keep both jacks in my car all the time.

Have exactly the same issue here. Do you know if the low profile 2.5T jacks clear on their own? I know thats what most people use on lowered cars. Was looking at buying one soon.

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
Have exactly the same issue here. Do you know if the low profile 2.5T jacks clear on their own? I know thats what most people use on lowered cars. Was looking at buying one soon.

I was thinking of going to SCA or Autobarn and getting them to test it.. as i would be interested in buying one if so.. sick of having to jack up twice effectively.

helmotbros

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
Yea me too. Especially in the ute. It's a huge pita to get the jack out. If you do let me know how you go. Ill do the same if I end up buying one soon.

MiKExAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4 Series II
Thanks heaps for all the feedback guys. I had time today to go take some pictures under my car.

So Here's the diff. Should I just place the jack plate under the most central point of the diff (circled in red) and then go for it?
DSC07472_zpsdc7c4b7e.jpg

And here's the front end. Is where the red circle is the right place to jack up from? Is this the K frame you'z are talking bout?
DSC07475_zps007ca407.jpg

Hopefully people in the future will find this post really useful and no one will have to ask again!