Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Using Sandpaper to Roughen up Brake Rotors

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Hmmm... just realized that this thread has turned me into this:

someone-is-wrong-on-the-internet-300x300.jpg

lol.

I think I need to move on. No more post in this thread from me!

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
I'm still getting flamed, hmmm.

I never said that I was an expert. I am just going by what was taught to me when I was an apprentice and also what I have read on the Internet.

I know that you sand or machine rotors to deglaze them and the only reason I said pads as well is because that's what was taught to me.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Ive heard of deglazing pads with sandpaper to remove the glazed layer of pad lining, thats an old trick thats been around for years.. But Ive never even heard of anyone sanding the brake discs though. If discs are scored or warped, they get replaced with new ones, simple.

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
Sanding of brake linings and drums is accepted practice on heavy vehicles. I have in the past brake tested vehicles on LTNZ approved brake rollers, disassembled them and sanded the drums and linings (40 grit on an air sander) then reassembled and adjusted then driven over the same brake rollers and seen improved performance from the drums/linings I sanded.

I dont know about your guys backwards rules where you dont need a WOF or COF (so dont need brakes anyway) but I have found through my own experience that in many cases sanding drums and linings does improve braking performance