Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 Conversion For Vb To Vk

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
From what I can make out the signal from a old style vh coil to the tacho is a 12v signal and the tacho signal off the v6 dfi is a 5v square wave so you need an adapter board to modify the signal so the vh one will work
I got one from a speedo place and it works fine my original tacho now works with the v6 motor with the addition of this little board and I got it from whittakers in wagga wagga....80 bucks was a bit tall for this but it works...better than the 220 I got as a quote from a place here in brisbane ...... 4 wire connections 12+ red 12v- black 5v signal in brown 12v signal out blue
tachoadp.jpg

THIS THREAD shows some good info on speedo and tacho to do with this conversion

v6skidkid

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr v8 calais / L67 vk
can i use a vs k frame are they the same still as vn

Young gun

Dream BIG!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
79 vb
Halve way threw conversion into vb.
vr/vs track is wider, how much wider will a 17" with a 235 scrub, when lowered and guards rolled
Planing on running vc brock flares. And would it look out of place with a vl diff?

VBRED

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VK Calais 333 Pack
Mate Just use the vr/vs k frame. Use the VB arms, castor rods, struts etc. It will bolt straight up.
17" with 235s using standard commodore offset will not scrub with superlow springs.
The VL diff is only 12mm wider so it is not an issue. It bolts staight into your VB. The VL diff has a flange.
You need the rear half of a VL drive shaft.
I run a similar set up on my VK.

Young gun

Dream BIG!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
79 vb
Have all vn k frame, suspension and wrack wold that be better than vb stuff?
Prefer to use vr so can run adjustable column and vt disks and callipers (aware of 70mm centre and 71.5mm centre) want to make up mind before panting bay so if need to weld the bottom mount for steering coulom, im on holidays so i have time to muck about.

VBRED

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VK Calais 333 Pack
All the VN stuff will bolt straight in. You will need to get a VL lower steering shaft section and you can use the original steering column.
Mate I cannot help you with using VR stuff. I have no experience installing that stuff into an early commodore.

Largey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk Berlina
Ok got most things sorted but the speedo using a t 700 is a bit of drama...trying to get out of it without wasting too much money so Im was looking at keeping the original cable driven speedo and installing a pulse generator in line.So basically I need a speedo adapter to fit the t 700 with cable output, a in line generator like a dakota 8 k pulse generator and a turbo 350 speedo cable.And a pulse converter for the computer?
Am I on the right track? any easier way...

looked on a site in the us that had a adapter/pulse generator in one too
speedoadapter.jpg

I'm on the north side of bris, I have one of the electronic converters from v6 conversions that I never used. You can have it for $50 if it helps.

Young gun

Dream BIG!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
79 vb
With makeing a gear box cross member was thinkin of using rhs and turbo 350 mount.
Does the motor need to be level or at 3 degres?