Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 Exhaust - Post here

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY SS 2003 - 6 Speed Manual
Hey guys, i currently have a V6 Ecotec with a 2.5 catback comprising of a straight through centre glass packed muffler and rear straight through glass packed hotdog, it used to sound good but recently the drone has been giving me the shits around 2300rpm which is the cruising revs. Obviously me getting older, my ears are not liking it any more.

Anyways do you guys think if i replaced the rear straight through glass packed hotdog with a rear straight through glass packed resonator it will get rid of the drone? As i contemplating this currently but my old man says it wont make any difference? I hope hes wrong?

Thanks
Matt.

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
It does work. Just did that on my 5L i went from hotdog to 4 inch ressie. Whisper quiet when cruising, but when you serve it up it still has a roar to it

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
It does work. Just did that on my 5L i went from hotdog to 4 inch ressie. Whisper quiet when cruising, but when you serve it up it still has a roar to it

Hmm, this sounds promising, hopefully it would have the same affect on a V6, the current hotdog would be about 30cm long and 10cm round with just perforated holes and glasspack i believe and the ressie i am looking at will be 45cm long and 15cm wide and is also a glass packed straight through type design. Im unsure of the exact details.

Is yours still a straight through glass pack type design?

Supposedly it will look similar to this

Holden Commodore 2.5 inch Exhaust - eBay Exhaust Systems, Exhausts, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 14-May-10 19:27:09 AEST)

Thanks
Matt.

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
yep. looks like that. the pipe is straight thru tho, no offset at all

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
yep. looks like that. the pipe is straight thru tho, no offset at all

I hope ur right as that is what others have recommend including Abba, who can do me the rear resonator for $120 to my door, i reckon ill probably end up trying it, hopefully it cuts out the drone. He said it should, so lets hope it does. I'm guessing just the bigger diameter and length of the resonator will cut out more soon thus reducing drone. But straight i guess keeps it breathing as well, but does straight through encourage drone?

Thanks
Matt.

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
I hope ur right as that is what others have recommend including Abba, who can do me the rear resonator for $120 to my door, i reckon ill probably end up trying it, hopefully it cuts out the drone. He said it should, so lets hope it does. I'm guessing just the bigger diameter and length of the resonator will cut out more soon thus reducing drone. But straight i guess keeps it breathing as well, but does straight through encourage drone?

Thanks
Matt.

Well last night was the first time i drove it up a steep hill after about 2 weeks of it "bedding in". The hill is one of the main freeways out of adelaide and it is a gradual climb at 100km/h for about 5 km. My race car drones like hell up this road and that has a hotdog in the tail pipe. My VN was very pleasant tho, slight v8 hum. It's also auto, so yours should be a lot more forgiving

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well last night was the first time i drove it up a steep hill after about 2 weeks of it "bedding in". The hill is one of the main freeways out of adelaide and it is a gradual climb at 100km/h for about 5 km. My race car drones like hell up this road and that has a hotdog in the tail pipe. My VN was very pleasant tho, slight v8 hum. It's also auto, so yours should be a lot more forgiving

I reckon you've convinced me to at least try it now and i know the hill your talking about. The main reason i am interested in quieting it down is because of a recent freeway trip.

ST3V3

Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 VZ SV6
Qld Mod Laws - regarding exhaust systems

Here's a few question for you guys.

First off, let me Apologise if this is not the right thread but i have tried everywhere to find this information and the reason i post on this thread is because I plan to do an exhaust system mod (including extractors) but these laws seem to be creating quite an obstacle.

I live in Qld and I'm about to go on my provisional licence (Red P's).
According to QLD transport provisional licence holders are unable to drive a high performance vehicle.

This includes:
* eight or more cylinders
* a turbo-charged or super-charged engine that is not diesel powered
* an engine that has a power output of more than 200 kW as per the manufacturer's specifications*
* a rotary engine that has an engine capacity of more than 1146cc as per the manufacturer's specifications
* a modified engine that must be approved under the Transport Operations (Road Use Management — Vehicle Standards and Safety) Regulation 1999, section 30.

*does as per the manufacturer's specifications mean that you can take your car up to any amount of KW, as long as when you bought it stock it was 200KW (a bit stupid, I know)*

or Do these laws mean that a provisional licence holder is unable to drive a car which has any engine modifications? Because I am looking at installing an exhaust system including extractors. I currently drive a VZ SV6 190 so putting in this system may cause it to exceed 200KW

Any information regarding these questions would be a great help

Thanks heeps guys