Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 Head Porting

Wesleyrpg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Supra Turbo
so greeny, hows my heads coming? now that im workin, i just dont have the time to do it myself! ;)

VN Commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 5 spd/VR Calais daily driver
Are the Standard Abrasives kits good for the job? Anyone ever tried one?

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
match the intake ports and intake manifold ports to a gasket. i think wider can be ok, open up the top of ports but try not to do anything with base except cleaning off crap bits.

i think!!

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
PaRaDoX616 said:
any use increasing the port size from the intake manifold to the heads????

was looking at the heads today thinking they could be a bit bigger ;)

You can match them, and they are (roughly) on my old VN, but it's easy to bugger up and make them bigger than the head ports, this is way worse than them being smaller because they they had an edge to hit. When you are porting the most important areas are the "bowl" area right under the valve and the valve itself, The area under the valves are machined in the factory and it's only a rush job and of course there is no hand finishing in a average joe GM engine, (no Ferrari spec stuff going on there) so you should find a nice ridge in the cast where it's been machined, these are the kind of thing you look for and fix. You need to get those right before you need to worry about the rest of the runner.

I'm talking about this ridge below
port_ridge.jpg

Now I will take my magic grinder (paint program:p) and be from my mouse porting in a moment

Ok here it is, ace porting spec :)

port_ridge_fixored.jpg

Hakhawk nicely pointed out to me that my gimping skillz suck because it looks like the port got smaller, but I was just cloning the nice machined surface cause that's how it should look like :) of course in real life the machined part will be ground down to the level of the bottom of the bowl, infact that exhaust port could be a bit better, let me try that again.

Still not able to draw it how I would like but if you guys have cameras and can post pics of your ports you should be able to help each other get an idea :) ohhh the internet is so usefull !:)

port_ridge3.jpg

Last edited:

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Ok I just realised Sammy has some picts of Buick ports on his site so I stole them :) I'll write some more about these tomorrow but here's a picture of stock and roughly what you are trying to do, there are some areas you want to take more out than others and needs talking about but that's for tomorrow

Stock Ports
sammy_port_stock.jpg

Ported ports
buickv6foamervalvemetal.jpg

With the metal around the Valve boss lump you want that to be a kinda pyramid shape so it's still strong with a few mil all around the valve stem, hard to draw but I hope you get the idea

Last edited:

VN Commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 5 spd/VR Calais daily driver
So where the flat surface that I marked in the photo is, has that been re-ground so that it is now further away than it used to be? In order to smoothen out the whole area? In the photos it doesn't look like it but I don't understand how to smoothen it out without.. I'm trying to picture this all in my mind, I've got some heads comming (hopefuly soon) that I'll be able to have a look at.

Attachments

• buickv6foamervalvemetal.jpg
    buickv6foamervalvemetal.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 909

cracker

Reaction score
i did something simular to my heads about a year ago cant say if it worked or not because they went on a built motor very interesting