Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 oil pressure issue

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Priming these suckers is as easy as dropping the fuel (ECU, relay, fuse, plug, etc...) and turning them over with a gauge hooked up. Same as an LS. That's all I've ever done in all my recos and builds, works great

King_berald

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
Priming these suckers is as easy as dropping the fuel (ECU, relay, fuse, plug, etc...) and turning them over with a gauge hooked up. Same as an LS. That's all I've ever done in all my recos and builds, works great
Haha we actually did that just as a precaution but then we later found out that it builds up next to no pressure this way haha. Also works better without the spark plugs in

King_berald

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
You can hire a air primer. It looks like a 4kg gas bottle and you pressurize the bottle with air. You hook it up at the oil pressure sensor and it fills all the galleries and primes the lifters after a few hand rotations.
That would be ideal.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Yep on the plugs. It's not about building pressure, it's about getting oil ahead of the 8 ball before a first start so it builds pressure quickly and nothing relies on assembly lube for more than 10-20 seconds. If it's built right, non firing rotation presents zero risk to internals

Air primers are more for non standard bills with remote filters, oil coolers and turbo lines where they may have extra litres of volume to cover external to the engine

King_berald

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
So I pulled the motor and sent it back to the builder. Turns out it had grit in it still from beforehand. Which went through the oil. Nightmare.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
That is terrible. Hope you don't have to pay again?

King_berald

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
That is terrible. Hope you don't have to pay again?
I don't think so. He said he's gonna re-do everything for me. I assume he's just as frustrated as me. Originally it was full of crap when it got torn down. It must have had some more in it somewhere. My oil was going black straight away. Even after 5-6 oil changes.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I don't think so. He said he's gonna re-do everything for me. I assume he's just as frustrated as me. Originally it was full of crap when it got torn down. It must have had some more in it somewhere. My oil was going black straight away. Even after 5-6 oil changes.
Considering it was like that he probably should have had it soaked in the tank.