Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 Peformance Parts

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Be careful what you wish for. Actually I can see no 'Technical' reason why you couldn't add 2 x 24mm together or any multiple of 12's and 24's - As long as you have no issues with seal integrity. The raw material is available to go thicker, but the cost is logarithmic not a logical progression.

You may still have mechanical problems to deal with - long enough mounting bolts for one.

A couple of basics that are worth thinking about. As your intake trumpet increases it's length (call it runner, whatever - my background is with mechanical injection on race trumpets) your torque does increase as the column of air entering the system is longer. The air column develops more 'momentum' so to speak. It's less prone to 'flutter' and other types of air turbulence. This has the nett effect of increasing how much air / fuel mix winds up in the cylinder for compression.

There is a down side. It narrows the rev range at which this peak torque is developed. As with anything that has more 'momentum', it's harder to move that object in a new direction. The air column doesn't accelerate as rapidly. Your nice flat torque curve wil become lumpy. That's ok if you have a nice close ratio gearbox to keep the engine singing at peak, but less useful on the street.

There may be ways and means around it. Higher stall torque converter. Lower ratio diff etc, but bare in mind - the huge v8's with mountainous tunnel rams make huge power, usually at 5000rpm (or some other equally stupid number for use on the street).

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
good info tsunamix. Sometimes people dont reaslise theres a limit like heads, exhaust etc.

-Michael-

Ooh Yeah.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S Pack
Jus purchased 1.98 roller rockers and CAI hope to see it soon!

MACE

Reaction score
Yeah, thats what i was thinking. The plennum would look pretty cool sitting 50mm above the intake. Any chance of you guys sandwiching 2 x 25mm insulators together on an ecotec and running it on a dyno?

We probably wouldn't do it any time soon, however if some was keen we would look after them accordingly :yeah:

Be careful what you wish for. Actually I can see no 'Technical' reason why you couldn't add 2 x 24mm together or any multiple of 12's and 24's - As long as you have no issues with seal integrity. The raw material is available to go thicker, but the cost is logarithmic not a logical progression.

You may still have mechanical problems to deal with - long enough mounting bolts for one.

A couple of basics that are worth thinking about. As your intake trumpet increases it's length (call it runner, whatever - my background is with mechanical injection on race trumpets) your torque does increase as the column of air entering the system is longer. The air column develops more 'momentum' so to speak. It's less prone to 'flutter' and other types of air turbulence. This has the nett effect of increasing how much air / fuel mix winds up in the cylinder for compression.

There is a down side. It narrows the rev range at which this peak torque is developed. As with anything that has more 'momentum', it's harder to move that object in a new direction. The air column doesn't accelerate as rapidly. Your nice flat torque curve wil become lumpy. That's ok if you have a nice close ratio gearbox to keep the engine singing at peak, but less useful on the street.

There may be ways and means around it. Higher stall torque converter. Lower ratio diff etc, but bare in mind - the huge v8's with mountainous tunnel rams make huge power, usually at 5000rpm (or some other equally stupid number for use on the street).

You make some very good points their Tsunamix. Obviously there are a number of factors, however generally speaking the longer the runners, the more low down torque, given the better scavenging at lower RPM. In a lot of factory engines the runner are too short (alloytec) and are far from ideal, however for packaging reasons and cost they have to make this compromise.

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Something i have been considering others might find of interest.

Increasing runner length has the technical side effect of increasing plenum capacity - Yes - runners aren't part of the plenum, but the nett effect is more air available for mix at the injector.

You could actually increase runner length by about 25mm, and then decrease the plenum capacity and wind up with a situation where you can use a plenum volume decrease to your advantage.

The 'squared off' corners of the ecotec plenum don't flow all that well. Air moves more slowly in there. I've been wondering if getting some epoxy putty and curving off the ends would result in a greater air speed being maintained through the plenum.

I havent yet got around to it, but I have made a Polycarbonate Plenum top, to bolt on. I can then look at introducing a dyed smoke into the throttle body to see what flows where. I wasn't game to try this until I got a manifold insulator on as Polycarb softens at about 110 degrees C and I don't particularly want lumps of plastic melting into the heads.

Theoretically theres some gains to be had here, in terms of throttle response (shorter air column path) and outright power but we will see.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Something i have been considering others might find of interest.

Increasing runner length has the technical side effect of increasing plenum capacity - Yes - runners aren't part of the plenum, but the nett effect is more air available for mix at the injector.

You could actually increase runner length by about 25mm, and then decrease the plenum capacity and wind up with a situation where you can use a plenum volume decrease to your advantage.

The 'squared off' corners of the ecotec plenum don't flow all that well. Air moves more slowly in there. I've been wondering if getting some epoxy putty and curving off the ends would result in a greater air speed being maintained through the plenum.

I havent yet got around to it, but I have made a Polycarbonate Plenum top, to bolt on. I can then look at introducing a dyed smoke into the throttle body to see what flows where. I wasn't game to try this until I got a manifold insulator on as Polycarb softens at about 110 degrees C and I don't particularly want lumps of plastic melting into the heads.

Theoretically theres some gains to be had here, in terms of throttle response (shorter air column path) and outright power but we will see.

i think if you look at steve's plenum spacers (not to be confused with intake spacer/insulator) he has some diagrams that allude to that exact thinking with regards to air movement inside the ecoted plenum

TrEnNaVY

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6
We probably wouldn't do it any time soon, however if some was keen we would look after them accordingly :yeah:.

So does that mean if i buy the parts u throw in the install and dyno?

Jenkies

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY commodore 'S' Ute
hi im after a auto-manual conversion. is this something you can do?? if not can you recommend someone who can do it without breaking the bank?

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
For your requirements you won't need to strengthen anything :)
That's great news:D.

Your first on my list next time i save up some money:).