Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 VS/Lexcen. Complete stock. Frugal mod advice/where to go please?

Darren_X

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS/Lexcen CSI
Hey guys,

I've just turned 18 and study Mechanical Engineering at Curtin here in Perth. I've got a V6 VS/Lexcen Csi. (See profile for pic) It's completly stock. It's heading towards doing 140k kms and is in excellent condition mechnically (minus break pads need replacing soon and some bushes too). Anyways, I'm keen to do some modifications on it. I'm not chasing a huge increase in power or anything like that, or anything super cosmetic, lowering it or getting full sprays etc. Mostly, I just want to get my hands dirty and learn more about how the thing works. Hopefully it'll help me out with uni (I'm only first year) and where I wanna go with my degree (I've always thought going into automotives would be awesome). But unlike a lot of my mates who are really keen on their cars, I know squat! :p

I've already done a lot of reading and searching on here, but I'd like if you please a little more tailored advice. I'm running pretty tight on budget, living away from home to study etc. And so it's not gonna be a fast process. What I'm really after is some safe corners to cut. I don't mind getting second hand and spending a bit to repaint/clean up things. I see you can do that with alloys, anyone know anything about that?? I'd like to install a CAI and things too, maybe a panel air filter. And I can see already that I might get flamed on here for doing it because there's "no point", but like I said, I'm just looking to learn about how it all works. And I think getting in there and changing things up a little is the best way! Don't you?? So as long as it's not really expensive and gonna take power AWAY, then I'm up for it.

I'm looking to do a trip to the autowreckers too. But what do you think I could expect to find that I could salvage and reuse? I haven't really got anything in particular I'm looking for, just after some inspiration.

Any tricks, hints and tips would be much appreciated! Opinions on where to start, how I should go about starting/learning, throwing any suggestions or cheap things you've done yourself would be great.

Ideas so far:
De-badge Change indicators Replace tail lights Sports Exhaust? CAI 17" rims(good size?)
"wilco"'s roller paint job Replace steering wheel for Holden New front bumper (Holden version)
In car floor LEDs Window tint (would mirror tint look ok?) (Maybe some ballpark est. on prices for these things, considering also I'm keen for scrounging and bargain hunting)