Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 VZ quicker off the mark than a VE SS?

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
From his point of view treefiddy is a sports coupe with apparent good looks and handling

Good Looks.............Ummmm
Well it has been said that "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

Zehq

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF2 SV6 Black
Better engine, you're just paying a 5 grand premium.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Nah the V6 is something of a legend with P-platers and uni lads. Son is looking for next car and the king of the sub-$10k heap among his mates is the treefiddy (350)z. Same size V6 same tricks, and yeah there's advanced variants and tuned states for both but mainly same output give or take 8% for the different stock tune states. You can't feel the difference, same output.
Thing is (from my point of view) the Holden engine lasts longer, is cheaper to rebuild, uses less fuel and can run 91-98 or even e85. From his point of view treefiddy is a sports coupe with apparent good looks and handling.
Nothing I've found so far under $10k compares as well for performance, and reliability with say 100k-150k km on the clock to a Holden V6. Timing chain? Most have belts (worse), Commie is simple and cheap fix, others seriously not meant to last as long as that.

Keen to hear what he ends up buying.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Keen to hear what he ends up buying.
Looking up PPR on a 2005 VZ SV6 with 188k km for $3500 private. VGC, went over it for an hour, drives well.
Four new Potenzas, new Kenwood and sub.
Apart from regular oil changes what else to look for?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Make sure a/c’s working, check for rooted bushes (adds up quickly), leaky/soft shock absorbers. Check for cracks around strut towers if lowered too.

Potenzas suggest the owner has their priorities straight, but sub would turn me off it. How old’s the owner? Does the owner seem genuine? How long have they owned the car? Who’s been servicing it?

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Make sure a/c’s working, check for rooted bushes (adds up quickly), leaky/soft shock absorbers. Check for cracks around strut towers if lowered too.

Potenzas suggest the owner has their priorities straight, but sub would turn me off it. How old’s the owner? Does the owner seem genuine? How long have they owned the car? Who’s been servicing it?
Good stuff, thanks.
Mid 20’s Sikh fella who works in a car detailing place (car wash). Sahib seems unlikely to redline it, zero dust or dirt or marks even. Had it two years, serviced every 10k km at local Bridgestone Service Centre (yes the tyre joint). He has no clue about under bonnet and books it in religiously (one might say) according to sticker on window.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
These are the only "Barra" I've got any interest in

Barra 1.jpg

Barra 2.jpg