Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8 on LPG ?

puneet_shriyan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
I'm struggling to find any information on lpg conversions on manual VF series 2 SS. I know this is an old thread and I might not get an response.
But all searches take me to manuals on how to do lpg conversions. :)

So for anyone reading this, do you know if lpg liquid conversions can be done on manual transmission V8. Especially on the LS3 engines in the VF2 commodores.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
More hassle then it's worth and with the cost of LPG now it's not as economical as it once was. Want economy don't get a 6.2 litre V8.

vk2him

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Yes it's worth doing for sure - be sure to get it tuned afterwards, mine is much more powerful and responsive on LPG than it was on 98. Checkout the liquid LPG done by Sprint Gas - http://www.liquidlpg.com.au/products/liquid-lpg-conversion-kits/holden/commodore-vf-60l-sedan/
.. I have the VF1 6.0l but I don't see any reason why your VF2 would be any different as the liquid injectors are mounted in exactly the same place .. also manual vs auto makes no difference

puneet_shriyan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
I have the VF1 6.0l but I don't see any reason why your VF2 would be any different as the liquid injectors are mounted in exactly the same place .. also manual vs auto makes no difference
Sweet exactly the sort of information I was looking for. I'm assuming you used these guys for your conversion. Did they provide the tune as part of the conversion or did you have to go somewhere else?

vk2him

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Actually it's a long story - the LPG injection system I bought is made by Orbital - that company went into administration and sold everything to Sprint Gas. I had mine installed by an Orbital dealer who became a Sprint Gas installer. He does LPG installs and maintenance on Taxis etc in Taren Point. He doesn't do tunes, just LPG, so I had mine tuned remotely by Oztrack who did a few tune versions for me including AFM on/off. On my regular trip between Wollongong and Sydney I get around 13.5l/100 which includes about half the time in heavy traffic and the rest @110kph down the freeway. My long term average speed is 60kph. The down side is loss of boot space .. I got the toroidal tank that fits in the wheel well ... the spare is mounted flat in the boot on a bracket so I lose a bit of boot space. I bought a used inflator kit (pump and hole filler compound in a can) in case I wanted to leave the spare at home and use the full boot - If I did it again I'd get the tank that fits across the seats - I had that in a previous car. The advantage is more LPG in the tank but you lose the drop down seat hatch for fishing rods etc. I've never used that hatch in 2 years so don't really need it.

Last edited:

puneet_shriyan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
LPG installs and maintenance on Taxis etc in Taren Point. He doesn't do tunes, just LPG, so I had mine tuned remotely by Oztrack who did a few tune versions for me including AFM on/off.
Thanks for the info vk2him. You've made my decision easy. The place at Taren point is New gas LPG automotive I'm assuming. I've read a lot of good things about their work.
I'm thinking about getting the larger tank that fits across the seat. The seats don't fold down in the VF2, just the middle portion flips down.
I'll book in to get it done in Jan.

rouseabout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SV6 in Red Hot, waiting for my VF11 SS
14 litres per 100 is pretty good. Better in fact, than my old HZ 4.2 sedan on gas!