Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8 Supercars 2014

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
as someone who has been to calder park a few times in the past year (driven on it actually) and goes past it a whole heap, it is certainly not in tip top condition.
the seating and so forth is definitely overgrown with weeds/grass (thunderdome anyway)

the actual circuit track isn't too bad, its where they do the fasttrack racing and also get some motorbikes out there if you go beyond just the basic licencing.

to get it to a proper racing level work would have to be done.
and they would have to link up the old circuit which ran both tracks for extra length.
right now you get say 8 cars out there for a fast track day and its fairly packed in. think Nascar short track. now add in all the other v8s.

for the record reap. the land next to it is actually going to be made into a train storage place.
or atleast that is the plan.

pretty sure they do not use the thunderdome anymore, unless you want to hire it out.
from memory it works out to about $10k to hire it for a day.
used to be for fasttrack experiences in aus/nascar but do not think that has happened for a while.

oh and they sometimes also have some motorbike events there, fair size track out the back.

Amanuensis

Amanuensis
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSz
I was just pointing out a possible direction change for the local racers. Project your mind forward 2 years. Ford Australia and Holden have ceased local production. Our future Fords and GM cars will be imports. Okay, the Mercs, Nissans and Volvo's don't have to do anything. Developing the Fusions and Chevrolets for racing won't be needed because NASCAR has already done the hard work in the States.

I know I'm just speculating. Can anyone else offer a direction local racing might be headed?

I'm thinking that another possible direction is to go back to production racing, (The Shannon's series).

My point is, no one really knows, or if they do, aren't saying, where Supercars are headed.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
I read an article regarding the long term future of the series and the possibility of dropping exclusively V8 engines. I can't see it being an issue so long as parity is maintained. I'd like to see V8s running against 4 and 6 banger turbos because teams will have more of a chance to technically evolve. Remember the old days where under the bonnet was a hugely guarded secret between teams?. So long as maximum power and torque are the same and they have a similar torque curve, weight and aero package you're not going to notice a difference apart from sound.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I read an article regarding the long term future of the series and the possibility of dropping exclusively V8 engines. I can't see it being an issue so long as parity is maintained. I'd like to see V8s running against 4 and 6 banger turbos because teams will have more of a chance to technically evolve. Remember the old days where under the bonnet was a hugely guarded secret between teams?. So long as maximum power and torque are the same and they have a similar torque curve, weight and aero package you're not going to notice a difference apart from sound.

As long as they don't #### up the turbo/na parity a-la Group A days I'm fine with it. Power/torque curves would have to match what we have now. The problem back then was dialing up epic power on the snails at will whilst carrying larger tires/wheels and lower weight than (say) a V8 Commodore.

By about 1990 they had it much closer parity wise between the Sierras and Holden but then Nissan rocked up with their GTR and blew everything out of the water. I remember watching a ATCC race (I think it was lakeside but don't quote me) where Jim Richards was starting behind a BMW (I think), bailed onto the grass - all 4 wheels and out dragged him before getting back on the bitumen for the first corner. That should not happen in our top category racing ever.

Amanuensis

Amanuensis
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSz
I can understand the need for rules and parity in most categories of racing, but not at the top level. The top level has to remain restriction free so developers can bring in the benefits of the Research and Development they undertake. If that means, one brand blows the others out of the water for a few meetings, that just means the other brands, if they want to compete at that highest level, have to do their own research and development and regain being competitive once more. If they don't want to do the development or spend the money, then get out of the top level and go race in production cars.

Restrictions at the highest level of competition are like telling Usain Bolt he can only use one sneaker to compete because he is faster than everyone else or making Stephanie Gilmore cut a foot off her surfboard because she won 5 world titles previously and the other competitors are getting fed up with being beaten.

The development process flows down to us consumers and I for one, don't want my future restricted. In my opinion, let the top class remain restriction free.

Last edited:

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I can understand the need for rules and parity in most categories of racing, but not at the top level. The top level has to remain restriction free so developers can bring in the benefits of the Research and Development they undertake. If that means, one brand blows the others out of the water for a few meetings, that just means the other brands, if they want to compete at that highest level, have to do their own research and development and regain being competitive once more. If they don't want to do the development or spend the money, then get out of the top level and go race in production cars.

Its like telling Usain Bolt he can only use one sneaker to compete or making Steph Gilmore cut a foot off her surfboard.

The development process flows down to us consumers and I for one, don't want my future restricted. In my opinion, let the top class remain restriction free.

lololol - How much road car development has *ever* came from V8SC??? At best you had the homologation hotrods back in the Group A days of the late 80's and improved production category of the 70's. They were only ever a handful of cars and didn't translate to mainstream motoring. As a concept the manufacturers hated it - they were stupid expensive and they only did it because they had to so as to stay competitive.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
Dunno about anyone else, but I could see this racing amongst V8 Supercars...

Jaguar-XFR-S-26-e1354098883136.jpg

Jaguar-XFR-S-Leaked-2.jpg

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
looks very much a falcon,especially in that colour lol

and I totally agree with reaper,there is absolutely no transfer between v8 supercars and road going vehicles,the motors for a start are handmade in a v8 supercar and the old 5litre hasn't been available in aussie production cars since the late 90's,i could go on with lots of other things but there isn't enough time or paper in the world lol,
even the shape of the ford and the commodore,plus Nissan etc,not sure on the merc are not identical to their road going counterparts
anyways that's enough lol