Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8 superlow springs in V6 VY Ute?

bertstilly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Tilly
Hey everyone.

i have a VY ute with stock suspension and have been meaning to lower it for quite some time now and havent due to lack of funds and being busy with work.
recently a friend took the superlow kingsprings out of his V8 VU ute to put his old fe2's in. he gave me his superlows for mine.

wondering, has anyne else had experience with mixing v8 springs with a v6 ute?
obviously the v8 will be heavier in the front compared to the v6 but will that affect the ride height of my ute enough to look silly? or will the difference be minimal?

thoughts/comments/experiences/theories/solutions/ideas would be muchly appreciated????

thanks guys/girls?

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
You should get about a 30mm drop from standard all round. Ofcourse, assuming your mates springs are the same as Kings specify for VU V8 Super Low.

Front springs specified for 'Super Low' VU V8 are KHFL-47HD. In a V6 this is specified as 'Low, Heavy Duty'. 'Low' being 10mm lower then FE2, and 'Heavy Duty' being 10% stiffer then FE2.
Rear 'Super Low' springs are the same for V6 and V8 - KHRL-127SL. These are simply 10mm lower then FE2 and the same stiffness.

Last edited:

bertstilly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Tilly
ah okay. thanks for all the help,

however one thing that i cant quite work out. you say i should get about a 30mm drop all round, but kingsprings superlows advertise a 50-60mm drop??

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
My bad, confused myself with the part numbers for the rear, Kings don't actually specify an FE2 spring for the ute... Yeah you should have 50mm drop in the rear.

Strangely, the lowering springs are even softer then standard height springs (i guess it makes the handling more neutral in the ute), so don't expect to be able to carry anything heavy.
If you wanted to carry heavy loads they make a KHRL-125HD which is 40mm lower then standard and approx 20% stiffer.

bertstilly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Tilly
So, its taken a while. busy with work and stuff.you know how it is.
anyways, last weekend my brother came home from uni and we spent saturday night down in the workshop, put the vu v8 superlow king springs in. and i was absolutely blown away with it.
it was deadset perfect.
couldnt have had it better if i paid someone to do it properly.
best low budget lowering ever.

total cost- $0.00

cheerin :)

and come tuesday next week, i will be running a schmick set of ve ssv 19" rims :)

trondabron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute
So, its taken a while. busy with work and stuff.you know how it is.
anyways, last weekend my brother came home from uni and we spent saturday night down in the workshop, put the vu v8 superlow king springs in. and i was absolutely blown away with it.
it was deadset perfect.
couldnt have had it better if i paid someone to do it properly.
best low budget lowering ever.

total cost-
Labour charges of brother = $0
Going halves in coil compressors with brother = $45
Speedy Aftermarket Wheelnuts to suit VE SSV rims on VY =$40

Helping your brother with his mods next time he comes home = $0!!!!!!

cheerin :)

and come tuesday next week, i will be running a schmick set of ve ssv 19" rims :)

Fixed the above post!

vysute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 Utility 2004
congrats on the lowering bro! got a quick q for u. when you went in to doing the front springs, did u find it hard to do or did it come together pretty easily? ive got front springs for my ute but i'm hesitant to start the job incase i get in over my head.

bertstilly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Tilly
nah mate its dead easy. took us a big of jinning around sharing tools and working out what youve gotta do first etc. but its all pretty simple.anyone could do it with no problems.
youve just gotta take your time and remember how it all went together. and even if you think itll come out without spring compressors( which it probly will ), dont chance it because youll lose ball bearings all over the fall.and youll need them when you put the new springs on unless youve got 6 hands and muscles like schwarznegger.

but yea mate. just go for it. it was a first time for me and im not a genius when it comes to cars. and i didnt have too much trouble. youll be fine
good luck!
post a pic when youre done so we can check out the sexyness.

took these today. excuse the filth. just got back from a trip to queensland
IMG_0001.jpgIMG_0002.jpgIMG_0003.jpg

vysute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 Utility 2004
sweet as brah. cheers for the reply. just gonna have to get a weekend off with good weather to have a crack at it! (no garage haha)

Jake.7410

Reaction score
Members Ride
nah mate its dead easy. took us a big of jinning around sharing tools and working out what youve gotta do first etc. but its all pretty simple.anyone could do it with no problems.
youve just gotta take your time and remember how it all went together. and even if you think itll come out without spring compressors( which it probly will ), dont chance it because youll lose ball bearings all over the fall.and youll need them when you put the new springs on unless youve got 6 hands and muscles like schwarznegger.

but yea mate. just go for it. it was a first time for me and im not a genius when it comes to cars. and i didnt have too much trouble. youll be fine
good luck!
post a pic when youre done so we can check out the sexyness.

took these today. excuse the filth. just got back from a trip to queensland
View attachment 127057View attachment 127058View attachment 127059

hey man is that SL's all round? i quite like it but i want to flatten out the tub so it sits level with the car... so i was thinking lows in the front and superlows in the back just to keep it legal height..... or else i would go SL front, SSL rear..... do you think the second option would be legal height of 100mm??? how high does yours sit... i know this thread is old but i really need to find this out...