Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vacuum Leak - EGR Pipe?

StockoVRWagz

Formerly White50L
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR Wagon
Got a vacuum leak somewhere, sounds like its coming from behind the throttle body (from inside it sounds like behind the dash). the car drives pretty much perfect on gas and on petrol it barely idles/sounds like its running on 5. Already replaced fuel pump/filter so def not that.

Im thinking egr pipe. Ive already replaced the purge hose and purge cannister solenoid (threw an error code for that). intake ducting is all mint with no splits too.

the intake manifold is coming off this weekend and im replacing the valley cover gaskets/cleaning plenum out/plenum & tb gaskets so is there anything else to check as well while its all off?

Have searched, found some stuff, double checking.

Cheers.

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
How old is the petrol in the tank ur trying to run it on? What are the plugs and leads like? Im not overly familiar with how the gas system works on these but it could be one of the injectors/dfi module playing up thats causing the petrol sid of things to run rough. Im guessing the lpg side of things has its own control unit and injection system???

StockoVRWagz

Formerly White50L
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR Wagon
How old is the petrol in the tank ur trying to run it on? What are the plugs and leads like? Im not overly familiar with how the gas system works on these but it could be one of the injectors/dfi module playing up thats causing the petrol sid of things to run rough. Im guessing the lpg side of things has its own control unit and injection system???

Fuel isn't that old, topped up regularly as it uses fuel to start then switch to gas. Plugs and leads are new, dfi and coil pack are fine. Running rough due to the vacuum leak.

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
oh ok, i thought the vac leak would have had an effect on lpg aswel?

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
have you checked the EGR valve itself for a punctured split diaphragm

D

devilly

if your taking the plenum off check the pcv value and if you buy a new one also ask for the o'ring for it :)

mine egr value pipe cracked closest to plenum and under the bend and also the gasket was leaking just move your hand around it while its idling.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Hi
Whats the gap on the spark plugs?
I think l read somewhere that the reason for blowing holes in the air box, is incorrect spark plug gap. Straight petrol = 1.5 mm gap, petrol - gas = 1 mm.

Vacuum leak "sounds like coming from behind dash" maybe coming from heater, vents manifold?

Mine was doing this, nearly sounded like static from radio.

I hope this is helpful.
Lex

StockoVRWagz

Formerly White50L
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR Wagon
Plugs I did about 6 weeks ago, think the guy at sprints said 1.3 mm but I'll double check that gap and im running the colder plugs also.

Seems like it might have been that egr valve hissing pretty much all gone now. It still runs fine on gas and idles better now but a tad rough on petrol. Now it dies in the ass and misses under any throttle. One injector is very noisy on petrol so put some injector cleaner in to see if that helps.

About to google the dying in ass problem. Between this car and my other vt I've go that had/has issues it shouldn't be too hard to work out lol.