Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Value for $ Series 1?

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
I'm not turning it into a v6 vs v8 you said you want a v8 i merely pointed out that if your chasing power theres no point really spending money on a cam for a v6 when you can buy a v8 for that money
I only just looked that your in NZ in Aus 2 grand will pick you up a v8.

Rockers bolt ons are something that you can do yourself and save money

lemusa

Unmotivated Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thats all good mate, but yeah for some reason v8's are worth heaps more here. And when I say I want a v8 thatd be way down the track haha. Cheers for your help/opinions though, all helps

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
if you want a cam, take yours out and send it to Kelford cams and ask for the most aggressive profile they can for a regrind. $250 from memory. then get delcowizzid to do a tune to suit. cams are fairly easy to do on a buick because they don't need new lifters (if they are in good condition) because they use roller lifters. therefor they also don't require to be run in like flat tappet cams do. replacement springs aren't that expensive either.

while your at it, fit a double row timing chain to eliminate the standard timing chain tensioner and fit a s2 or ecotec oil pressure spring

There's a limit as to how much lift you want. If you were to install that cam with a set of high ratio rockers you'd have so much lift that your pistons would hit the valves and destroy the motor.

long before you reach that point you will infact destroy the valve stem seals. you would need to run a very big cam with lots of duration as well as high lift rockers for the valves to hit the pistons. the max lift stock heads will take is .520" at which point the valve spring retainers will hit the valve guide seals.

in fact i think you would struggle to hit the pistons with the valves if you had the stock pistons in because of the extremely deep dish they have. the standard dish in buick pistons is deeper then most valve reliefs cut into flat top pistons

There are better options then those crow packages as the cams are fairly mild and the tunes are fairly average.

LOL @ 2k for a V8 stato here in NZ, not unless it's at the damaged car auctions. things just aren't as cheap here unfortuantely :(

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Even still, how much does a V8 cost?

Its gotta be more cost effective to start with the bigger motor.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
So you could get one with 200-250k for what 4500?

Still better of spending that cash on an 8 mate.
At least, worst case scenario its worth rebuilding a 5ltr.

lemusa

Unmotivated Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes but theres lots else to think about, now that im manual im not goin back to auto and a manual v8 combo is way out off what i can afford atm. plus brakes would need some work, radiator etc. Not something I can be bothered with. Anyway can someone give me actually advice instead of tellin me to get a v8. Theres plenty of worked 6's around, should they all get 8's instead?

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
IMO yes, unless you go forced induction.

You said you wanted a V8, and a V8 will cost you $4000. Well a cam alone for the v6 is going to cost you $2000+. Then you'll need a tune, another $70+. Roller rockers $600+, extractors, highflow cats, and a twin exhaust system ~$1500-2000. And you're still only just catching up to a standard 5ltr.
Same mods done to a 5ltr will suck your face off in comparison.

If a manual is your thing (and I don't blame you, GM auto's blow major scrot) its not an impossible job to convert a 5ltr to manual. $1600 will see it done if you do it yourself.
So, when you think about it, take into account how much it cost to buy your VN v6, then add to it what it will cost to get it to perform the same as a standard 5ltr VN. Then see how much it will cost to buy a decent VN 5ltr and convert it to a manual.

And if you can't be bothered changing some brake pads, and flushing/changing a radiator. I suspect you might have trouble getting motivated enough to modify you're entire valve train.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
. Well a cam alone for the v6 is going to cost you $2000+. .

man i want some of the stuff your smoking cause i could do a reground cam+ springs+tune for a V6 for less then 1/2 that easy

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
I was talking brand new cam + someone to install it.

No point picking the cheapest option to quote.