Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Variatronic steering

VN_SS_CM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
nah its a bitza this type of car....VN with a VS Stato dash mixture of vn dash wiring and vs wiring but no BCM or plugs...using a VR stato BCM only has 1 wire that goes to the solenoid and the other end to 12 volts ignition

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
I'll be interested to see what happens to the VS Stato dash when you fire it up in a VN.

Reactions: Lex

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Fit a standard rack. That way you’ll be able to purchase parts for it such as the high pressure line/hose and source extractors easily.

Variatronic really was just a gimmick back in the 90’s. They did away with it in later models such as vy/vz. Pressure is regulated in a standard system at the pump (only a fitting). For Variatronic it’s regulated at the rack through the solenoid.

Steering becomes heavy when the solenoid stops working but it’s not unbearable. The missus couldn’t park the car when it was stuck in high speed mode for a couple of years a while back, but it didn’t bother me enough to fix it in a hurry given the availability of decent Variatronic racks.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I find it's to light, I changed the PS pulley to make it a touch firmer but the missus likes it so I can't get rid of it.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Fit a standard rack. That way you’ll be able to purchase parts for it such as the high pressure line/hose and source extractors easily.
Thats what I'll be doing when either my pump or my rack shits out.

I hate not being able to order decent sized extractors, Pacemaker only have 1 very basic size for the variatronic models.

Also you can't even buy hoses for variatronic racks anymore (they are different from normal V8 P/S racks) and the only option is to get them custom made which triples the price.

Reactions: EYY

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Did you see the recent episode of Kevin the Savage where Turbo Yoda "manualises" a PS rack?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Did you see the recent episode of Kevin the Savage where Turbo Yoda "manualises" a PS rack?
I did, if it wasn't for the fact that my front tyres are pretty meaty in width I'd be tempted to do it.

Definately a good solution for skinny tyres though.

VN_SS_CM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
haha I would but I have 2 complete sets with Pumps and hoses at my disposal

Set 1 - Recoed rack, new hoses, new pump
Set 2 - less than 5000kms and once again recoed rack, new hoses and new pump..

Running stock hsv style extractors....but I can see what someguy360 means if you where to get extractors they would have to loop around,
I actually have a manualised VS rack here it has had the insides removed and the torsion bar welded, tested it for a month and pain in the ass when trying to park....I was told I should have adjusted castor but meh pulled it out.....

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
haha I would but I have 2 complete sets with Pumps and hoses at my disposal

Set 1 - Recoed rack, new hoses, new pump
Set 2 - less than 5000kms and once again recoed rack, new hoses and new pump..

Running stock hsv style extractors....but I can see what someguy360 means if you where to get extractors they would have to loop around,
I actually have a manualised VS rack here it has had the insides removed and the torsion bar welded, tested it for a month and pain in the ass when trying to park....I was told I should have adjusted castor but meh pulled it out.....
Yeah I have three racks and sets of hoses here but still present fitment issues with a decent exhaust unfortunately. I used to run the HSV headers but you just don’t get the same sound from them as you do a set of pacemakers. Plus since they’re thin stainless they always crack at the collector next to the welds.

You can fit a set of 5000V headers where the drivers side gives a little more clearance for the rack, but they’re expensive and more difficult to find second hand. I’d go back to standard steering in a heartbeat.

If you’re at the stage of putting something together and the engines already out - I’d be going standard rack and selling the Variatronic stuff.