Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Variatronic steering

VN_SS_CM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
Ok everything is hooked bar solenoid.filled with fluid accidently to the top, fluid doesn't seem to go down when car is running. Tried lock to lock no change

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
What's the solenoid filled with fluid? The pump should be filled to the level on the dipstick.

VN_SS_CM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
crises averted turned back and forth whilst car is off started it again and it has sucked it in must of had a big air lock....so far so good next step is to wire up the bcm for its one job lol

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Keep wiring to the minimum needed for the one job. Years ago VS Stato dash clusters used to burn out when installed in VQ's- I can't remember why.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Keep wiring to the minimum needed for the one job. Years ago VS Stato dash clusters used to burn out when installed in VQ's- I can't remember why.
The electronics in the VR/S level 3 clusters are different to the clusters in the VN/VP/VQ even though the clusters physically look the same.

The colour of the ribbon cables on the back are different and thats a good way to tell which ones which.

Putting a VR/S cluster in a VN/VP or vice versa will release the smoke from the electronics :p

VN_SS_CM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
Ok hooked it as per wiring diagram nothing else is connected to the BCM. How do I test the output from the BCM for the solonoid. Multimeter across solenoid pins is 8.4ohms

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
I've never done this but you'll need to supply a speed signal into the BCM. The GMH manual says the BCM should supply the following pulse width modulated currents for the corresponding road speeds:

0.65Amps @ 1-10 km/h
o.4 Amps@40 km/h
0.0 Amps@ 80+km/h

I don't know if these PWM currents are the simple currents that can be measured on the amp scale of a multimeter. Maybe start by seeing if the BCM supplies 0.65 amps with the car stationary.