Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VCM-5 Cam for auto L98?

turbodragon

Reaction score
Members Ride
470rwkw Twin Turbo VE SS-V
Hey,

Just booked my car in for a cam package and the tuner reccomends the VCM-5 camshaft profile for my auto L98 VE SS-V, and I'm wanting some advice from poeple who have much better knowledge than me.

Here are the specs:

228˚ 232˚ .597" .597" 114˚

My car has 1 7/8" extractors, VCM OTR, 3" catback, and 3.45 diff with the stock converter. I'm looking to keep the stock converter so the mechanic/tuner said with the VCM-5, it may require a fair bit more brake pedal pressure to stop it from moving off at the lights but other than that, will give me great mid-range and excellent top-end.

Not wanting to be chasing a number, but would like to see 300rwkw or more, and apparently this camshaft profile will get me what I want without losing too much down low. The car will be mainly a weekend car (with no track work) and not overly fussed about losing abit of down-low grunt if I can get a fair whack of mid-range and top-end. Coming from a 300rwkw R33 GTS-t with a sizeable turbo, I don't mind a little bit of "lag", as lpong as the mid-range and top-end make me smile haha

Anyone able to comment on whether or not this is a good cam profile choice for what I'm looking for in terms of performance?

turbodragon

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thnaks for the tip Big-Al. You able to elaborate more in terms of regretting it? The tuner/mechanic is adament that the VCM-5 is the way to go.

Also, in terms of bigger stall, by keeping the stock stall what problems would I be looking at?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
have u looked at the rpm range on the vcm5 its 2400-7k so your going to have some fun down low with the standard converter, my cam starts at 2k and if i was auto id want at least a 3k stall just to be in the good spot, so prob 3-3.5k stall would work good with the vcm5

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
Like you say it'll want to keep going at the lights, be really average off the line too. leave you wondering why you spent so much money.

turbodragon

Reaction score
Members Ride
have u looked at the rpm range on the vcm5 its 2400-7k so your going to have some fun down low with the standard converter, my cam starts at 2k and if i was auto id want at least a 3k stall just to be in the good spot, so prob 3-3.5k stall would work good with the vcm5

Yes, I saw that RPM range but wasn't 100% sure what it meant. I'm thinking it means that from 2400rpm onwards is where it'll make tangible power?

Like you say it'll want to keep going at the lights, be really average off the line too. leave you wondering why you spent so much money.

In regards to wanting to take off from the lights all the time, would flicking it into neutral when stationary work? Are you able to suggest a cam profile which is more suited to a stock converter L98? I was originally leaning towards the VCM-21 but was told it wouldn't get me what I want and wouldn't have the "lumpy idle" the VCM-5 does.

turbodragon

Reaction score
Members Ride
Also, in my search I found a guy who had this:

I have a daily driver 2006 SSV A6 with 233/238 0.612/0.604 113LSA, no stall converter, idles at 750rpm and goes great. Needs to be warmed up for 30-60seconds when cold but other than that it starts awesome. VE SSV 328rwkw Start n Idle - YouTube

p.s. don't expect any sane fuel economy around town!!! Highway cruising is very economical though.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
vcm 21 is good and if u search it on utube there has its idle there, which now days if it dosnt idle the way u want (lumpy) u can just tune it to have more chop

turbodragon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vcm 21 is good and if u search it on utube there has its idle there, which now days if it dosnt idle the way u want (lumpy) u can just tune it to have more chop

Thanks mate, I had a look and on the L98 it sounded ok but seemed to sound better on the LS3. What about performance wise? How would that rate against the VCM-5?

scouser king

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SS
I have the VCM cam 21 in my L98. 217˚ 225˚ .600" .578" 113˚,Morel Tie Bar Performance Street lifters and push rods too suite on a stock auto with 3.9's and that's around 300RWKW which ran 12.4 flat on crap street rubber and a broken diff.It has a small cam note and is easy to drive, it uses about 13-14 liters in town and around 10 on freeway.I have smashed other VE SS with so called bigger cams at the drags.It's nice to drive and bigger isn't all ways better.