Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VCM-5 Cam for auto L98?

turbodragon

Reaction score
Members Ride
470rwkw Twin Turbo VE SS-V
I have the VCM cam 21 in my L98. 217˚ 225˚ .600" .578" 113˚,Morel Tie Bar Performance Street lifters and push rods too suite on a stock auto with 3.9's and that's around 300RWKW which ran 12.4 flat on crap street rubber and a broken diff.It has a small cam note and is easy to drive, it uses about 13-14 liters in town and around 10 on freeway.I have smashed other VE SS with so called bigger cams at the drags.

Thanks for the info mate, making me sway back to the VCM-21. Just curious why the mechanic/tuner would reccomend the VCM-5 to me though?

Is there a cam that sits between the VCM-21 and VCM-5?

scouser king

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SS
Thanks for the info mate, making me sway back to the VCM-21. Just curious why the mechanic/tuner would reccomend the VCM-5 to me though?

Is there a cam that sits between the VCM-21 and VCM-5?

The VCM 21 is the only real one you can with on a stock auto. I think people get to hug up on power and dyno results, i was like to for a long time lol.I dont know why your mechanic recommended that one for you. I got laughed at when said what cam i wanted in my SS but after a few runs at the drags i was the on that was Laughing.

turbodragon

Reaction score
Members Ride
The VCM 21 is the only real one you can with on a stock auto. I think people get to hug up on power and dyno results, i was like to for a long time lol.I dont know why your mechanic recommended that one for you. I got laughed at when said what cam i wanted in my SS but after a few runs at the drags i was the on that was Laughing.

Thanks mate, I might have to chat to the mechanic/tuner again. Do you have any idle vidoes at all? Both cold start and warm start?

On a seperate note, I'm an absolute noob when it comes to stall converters BUT let's say I was to swap to an aftermarket converter (eg. 3000rpm), what does that "3000RPM" stall converter actually mean?
I've heard a couple of V8s which sounds like the engine is revving fairly high for very little forward acceleration whilst driving in traffic. Is that the effect of a high stall converter?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I'd go by what your tuner recommends, if there's any problems, let him sort it out...

scouser king

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SS
Hay mate my car is on stands at the minute ( rear main seal has **** it's self) and the only video i have is an old one when the car was warmed up.The video isn't great but here you go.[video=facebook;10202163085052927]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202163085052927&set=vb.1062781831&type=2&theater[/video]

racarb

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss a6
I have the vcm 21 in my a6, stock converter and diff, vcm otr & full stainless 3" Xforce. This is the 3rd camshaft it's had the 1st was stock, then a vcm 7.
I can definatly say the 21 is very good. Only a little pushy at the lights (so i flick it to neutral) and goes very hard. It was dyno'd at 300rwkws, I ran a mid 12 and get about 17l around town and 9l on the hwy.
I went to the first so called tuner and requested a lumpy cam so he installed a vcm7. Sounded great but had absolutly no brakes. He even installed a vacum tank but still didnt do ****!.
After taking to the guys at vcm they recommended the 21 and i haven't been more happy. Doesnt have much of a chop but after all the past hassel i'll settle for less angry and that doesn't bother me.
Could have saved myself heaps of dollars if i spoke to them first.

turbodragon

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have the vcm 21 in my a6, stock converter and diff, vcm otr & full stainless 3" Xforce. This is the 3rd camshaft it's had the 1st was stock, then a vcm 7.
I can definatly say the 21 is very good. Only a little pushy at the lights (so i flick it to neutral) and goes very hard. It was dyno'd at 300rwkws, I ran a mid 12 and get about 17l around town and 9l on the hwy.
I went to the first so called tuner and requested a lumpy cam so he installed a vcm7. Sounded great but had absolutly no brakes. He even installed a vacum tank but still didnt do ****!.
After taking to the guys at vcm they recommended the 21 and i haven't been more happy. Doesnt have much of a chop but after all the past hassel i'll settle for less angry and that doesn't bother me.
Could have saved myself heaps of dollars if i spoke to them first.

Thanks for the info mate, will shoot you a PM now :)

Foggsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS Sedan M6
Fit the VCM 15 champ if you want a cam that's great with the standard stally and great everywhere incl down low. I think this is the most underrated and overlooked cam in their range 216/224 115LSA. the specs give it -10 degrees of overlap so the idle will have a very mild lope and is not aggressive. This will make you 300 at the rears on any dyno.

I have a 212/220 115 and I make 318 on a tight ass dyno and my mate has a 220/226 113 who made 330 on the same dyno as me. Bearing in mind my car revs to 6500 easy I think If you fit a 228/232 you will fu*K your car man.

In my experience most workshops/tuners recommend what they like and are pretty old school in their thinking of doing a cam means super aggressive idle and absolute top end power. This simply fu^^s guys cars. These LS engines particularly with the rectangular port heads that the VE onwards has don't need much of a cam to make great power and retain very livable daily manners (no worries cruising at 1300 rpms in traffic, doesn't push on brakes etc).

If it has to be a VCM cam then the 21 or 15 would be my suggestion.

Good luck

Hey,

Just booked my car in for a cam package and the tuner reccomends the VCM-5 camshaft profile for my auto L98 VE SS-V, and I'm wanting some advice from poeple who have much better knowledge than me.

Here are the specs:

228˚ 232˚ .597" .597" 114˚

My car has 1 7/8" extractors, VCM OTR, 3" catback, and 3.45 diff with the stock converter. I'm looking to keep the stock converter so the mechanic/tuner said with the VCM-5, it may require a fair bit more brake pedal pressure to stop it from moving off at the lights but other than that, will give me great mid-range and excellent top-end.

Not wanting to be chasing a number, but would like to see 300rwkw or more, and apparently this camshaft profile will get me what I want without losing too much down low. The car will be mainly a weekend car (with no track work) and not overly fussed about losing abit of down-low grunt if I can get a fair whack of mid-range and top-end. Coming from a 300rwkw R33 GTS-t with a sizeable turbo, I don't mind a little bit of "lag", as lpong as the mid-range and top-end make me smile haha

Anyone able to comment on whether or not this is a good cam profile choice for what I'm looking for in terms of performance?

turbodragon

Reaction score
Members Ride
Fit the VCM 15 champ if you want a cam that's great with the standard stally and great everywhere incl down low. I think this is the most underrated and overlooked cam in their range 216/224 115LSA. the specs give it -10 degrees of overlap so the idle will have a very mild lope and is not aggressive. This will make you 300 at the rears on any dyno.

I have a 212/220 115 and I make 318 on a tight ass dyno and my mate has a 220/226 113 who made 330 on the same dyno as me. Bearing in mind my car revs to 6500 easy I think If you fit a 228/232 you will fu*K your car man.

In my experience most workshops/tuners recommend what they like and are pretty old school in their thinking of doing a cam means super aggressive idle and absolute top end power. This simply fu^^s guys cars. These LS engines particularly with the rectangular port heads that the VE onwards has don't need much of a cam to make great power and retain very livable daily manners (no worries cruising at 1300 rpms in traffic, doesn't push on brakes etc).

If it has to be a VCM cam then the 21 or 15 would be my suggestion.

Good luck

Thanks for the insight mate, greatly appreciate it. Seems like there are many options but I fully trust the mecahnic/tuner but just wanted some people's opinion as I'd hate to push a cam choice the tuner isn't comfortable with. He has done a few of these and seems to be very confident with how they perform so hoping he can get me some good results as my criteria was for it to put a smile on my face when I mash the loud pedal, minimal headaches and a nice aggressive idle note (which I think someone mentioned can be "tuned" into it?).

Also, what do you mean by "I think If you fit a 228/232 you will fu*K your car man."? Like, is it going to ruin the car mecahncially or will the car be extremely unbearable to drive?

Foggsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS Sedan M6
Mechanically it will be fine assuming the installation etc is done correctly which i'm sure it will be by your tuner. I'm hoping you don't hate it in a month because you can't live with it everytime you drive it. In my opinion that's a big cam for an auto or manual - probably will need a stally at some point but I truly hope it works out for you and you love it hey. Everyone's different in their requirements and what I think is big, the next guy thinks is mild.....

The tuner I used to use was a great bloke and did great mechanical work but he swore blind that if I did a cam it had to be a VCM 6 which is a 233/233 from memory. If I had of done that, I probably would have sold the car by now.

Reactions: LGW