Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE 2012 Series II Fuel Tank Removal & Pump, Fuel Control Unit & Reversing Sensor Control Unit

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I would use a Stanley Knife to cut around the sound deadener,
then see if you can pry it up [without distorting it].

Hint: make a line with a permanent marker so you can install it back in the same position.

Last edited:

bdedene

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Balina V6 auto
I would use a Stanley Knife to cut around the sound deadener,
then see if you can pry it up [with out distorting it].

Hint: make a line with a permanent marker so you can install it back in the same position.
Have heated the bitumen sound deadner off an the silicone/mastic gasket off removed the pump . Put a twelve volt battery lead to the pump and it goes . Used a multimetre on the female connector . Reading 4.99Dcv5.00Dcv. The fuel looks clean and I can see to the bottom of the fuel tank clearly . Now the fuel filter on the pump is dirty .with some crunchy bits on it and a blacky film on the mesh . Cant see any light through it when looking , even with a very bright light . . The voltage and the filter are a good starting point . Regards Bdedene

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Have heated the bitumen sound deadner off an the silicone/mastic gasket off removed the pump . Put a twelve volt battery lead to the pump and it goes . Used a multimetre on the female connector . Reading 4.99Dcv5.00Dcv. The fuel looks clean and I can see to the bottom of the fuel tank clearly . Now the fuel filter on the pump is dirty .with some crunchy bits on it and a blacky film on the mesh . Cant see any light through it when looking , even with a very bright light . . The voltage and the filter are a good starting point . Regards Bdedene

Remember, there will be a heap of fumes, So No Bright Sparks !

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride

When you say 5 VDC, that could be the Fuel Guage wires, [smaller wires] ?
Where the LARGE HEAVY GAUGE Pink and Grey Wires are the 12volt Supply to the pump,
which goes to the Pump Control Unit, that is located, and mounted under the Battery Holder Tray. [as per image at the start of this thread]

If the power plug is not burnt or faulty,
I think there is a Relay in the Pump Control Unit, not sure if it replaceable, [as I never got that far after I found the burnt plug]
Were you may need to source from a wreckers, as a New one would be way to expensive,
If you do need one, make sure you get a unit with the same Part Number,
As I did notice there were 3 different models when I was looking for a replacement for mine.

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF Series 2 SSV Redline.
When you say 5 VDC, that could be the Fuel Guage wires, [smaller wires] ?
Where the LARGE HEAVY GAUGE Pink and Grey Wires are the 12volt Supply to the pump,
which goes to the Pump Control Unit, that is located, and mounted under the Battery Holder Tray. [as per image at the start of this thread]

If the power plug is not burnt or faulty,
I think there is a Relay in the Pump Control Unit, not sure if it replaceable, [as I never got that far after I found the burnt plug]
Were you may need to source from a wreckers, as a New one would be way to expensive,
If you do need one, make sure you get a unit with the same Part Number,
As I did notice there were 3 different models when I was looking for a replacement for mine.
Mate the last one l replaced was a two part pump aux pickup on one side. I'm hoping history is not going to repeat itself. Was it definitely the pump or could the burnt plug on the harness have played a part. Apologies in advance if this aspect was covered in a post. Cheers.

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mate the last one l replaced was a two part pump aux pickup on one side. I'm hoping history is not going to repeat itself. Was it definitely the pump or could the burnt plug on the harness have played a part. Apologies in advance if this aspect was covered in a post. Cheers.
Mate just reread the post where you said that you took the back seat out and hammered on the floor above the pump. As it then fired up probably the brushes. The bloke from the Automobile Association did the same when mine packed up.

Last edited:

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Bit of a long story short,
As I did a thread on the remove of the tank trice then cut a hole on the floor for third time, that saved me dropping the tank again.
When mine failed, I didn’t realise the loom plug was burnt, but I did bash on the floor pan and it fired up,
So I was able to drive it home,

Then the following day I pulled the tank out, and the unit thinking it was the tank unit, and found it was the loom plug,
Sourced a loom with the same plug, and spliced the plug onto the original loom for around $40 I think,
A replacement loom was going to cost over $200 and a week to get hold of.

Got another tank unit from Repco and it’s wasn’t the correct one for the L77.

Found a seller in Coburg on eBay that claimed they were OEM quality, then dropped the tank again,
but the fuel gauge sender unit failed on that after 14 months, just out of warranty, spoke to him and basically said bad luck mate, it’s out of warranty.
As it dropped to empty at 3/4 and at 1/4 of a tank and cause a X on the dash with contact dealer.
So I bit the bullet and cut the inspection hole in the floor pan (done a few pages and photos on that)
I have since put the original tank unit back in, with the original gauge sender unit, and hasn’t missed a beat,

With the OEM tank unit, you are able to replace gauge sender unit as it plugs in under the top of the tank unit,
But,
The cheap crappy aftermarket one from the ripoff armhole in Coburg is soldered in, so it’s not replaceable, like the OEM one is.
And I wasn’t going to waste my time f____ around with a so called OEM quality Chinese crap, as I have binned it.

Morel of the story here, go OEM.

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
Bit of a long story short,
As I did a thread on the remove of the tank trice then cut a hole on the floor for third time, that saved me dropping the tank again.
When mine failed, I didn’t realise the loom plug was burnt, but I did bash on the floor pan and it fired up,
So I was able to drive it home,

Then the following day I pulled the tank out, and the unit thinking it was the tank unit, and found it was the loom plug,
Sourced a loom with the same plug, and spliced the plug onto the original loom for around $40 I think,
A replacement loom was going to cost over $200 and a week to get hold of.

Got another tank unit from Repco and it’s wasn’t the correct one for the L77.

Found a seller in Coburg on eBay that claimed they were OEM quality, then dropped the tank again,
but the fuel gauge sender unit failed on that after 14 months, just out of warranty, spoke to him and basically said bad luck mate, it’s out of warranty.
As it dropped to empty at 3/4 and at 1/4 of a tank and cause a X on the dash with contact dealer.
So I bit the bullet and cut the inspection hole in the floor pan (done a few pages and photos on that)
I have since put the original tank unit back in, with the original gauge sender unit, and hasn’t missed a beat,

With the OEM tank unit, you are able to replace gauge sender unit as it plugs in under the top of the tank unit,
But,
The cheap crappy aftermarket one from the ripoff armhole in Coburg is soldered in, so it’s not replaceable, like the OEM one is.
And I wasn’t going to waste my time f____ around with a so called OEM quality Chinese crap, as I have binned it.

Morel of the story here, go OEM.
Yes definitely get the OEM, did the same cheap Chinese pump and aux pickup and l used to get home with more petrol than l started with. I think it ended up costing me about $1500 by the time l brought the correct ones.
A big help having two portals under the back seat.
Cheers mate.

VECalaisV8Wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CalaisV Wagon
I had an OEM pump fail 11 months after install, no sign of damage to the loom or plug but with this new pump I had contact dealer & tank empty within a few months.
Luck of the draw I guess.

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
As mentioned earlier,and stating the obvious, extreme caution when playing around with fuel tanks,doesn't take much of a spark to set the fumes off.
I've seen a couple of cars explode over the years.