Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE 3.6L Dual-Fuel Ignition Coil cost?

RochyBoy

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE (Factory) LPG Berlina
Last edited:

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Had a faulty ignition coil replaced today in my 2010 VE Berlina 3.6L Factory Dual-Fuel Commodore at a MyCar outlet, and the ignition coil part only cost $150. Does that seem right?
I know it's eBay, but I'm looking at $303 for a set of 6 here;
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ignitio...-/173033279380?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

Am I missing something?
The price differential between bricks and mortar shops and eBay is ridiculous. I got quoted something like a grand to replace coils in my SV6 and about 800 bucks of that was the cost of non genuine coils. I just went and bought a set off eBay for about 300 bucks and changed them myself.

Reactions: Lex

RochyBoy

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm thinking of dropping in tomorrow morning and asking exactly what coil was used and asking why so expensive.

They recommended doing all 6 at once for a total cost of $1100 instead of the $400 I paid.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm thinking of dropping in tomorrow morning and asking exactly what coil was used and asking why so expensive.

They recommended doing all 6 at once for a total cost of $1100 instead of the $400 I paid.
Like I said, 150 bucks each isn’t even that expensive in the domain of bricks and mortar stores.

Places like Repco and Supercheap wonder why they don’t sell any parts anymore, it’s little wonder when you can buy exactly the same parts from eBay for 50% less than they want to sell them for.

Just before Xmas I had to get a new water pump for my SSV and I bought one off eBay for 280 bucks including postage. Thing is the holidays meant it wasn’t going to arrive for a week or two and I had to have my car so I ended up buying one from Repco.

They wanted 420 bucks for it and I managed to talk them down to 380 bucks. Fitted the pump to get me out of the **** and when the eBay one arrived I compared it to the Repco one I just fitted and you would swear they were made in the same factory!

Do Repco etc just buy their **** of eBay and mark it up and resell it? Certainly seems that way judging by their pricing!

RochyBoy

Reaction score
Members Ride

RochyBoy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Trouble is I don't have the know-how to install them myself. Next one that goes at least I have more information and can get a few quotes.
This job was done with no notice after the car broke down Thursday night, and I was just happy to find somewhere to fix it Friday so I knew it was safe to drive. (given the flashing "Check Engine" message)

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Trouble is I don't have the know-how to install them myself. Next one that goes at least I have more information and can get a few quotes.
This job was done with no notice after the car broke down Thursday night, and I was just happy to find somewhere to fix it Friday so I knew it was safe to drive. (given the flashing "Check Engine" message)
If one coil went then the others probably aren’t too far away from giving up the ghost. Getting them replaced in a timely manner (if you aren’t confident to do it yourself) is probably wise.

RochyBoy

Reaction score
Members Ride
If one coil went then the others probably aren’t too far away from giving up the ghost. Getting them replaced in a timely manner (if you aren’t confident to do it yourself) is probably wise.
That's what the MyCar manager said.
No way I was doing it at $150 a pop for the part though.
Fingers crossed.