Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Berlina Wheels

Willm

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Berlina
I have a 2011 VE Berlina with the 18inch Calais wheels. The ride quality is shocking. my mechanic has recommended that I buy 16 inch wheels and then put on a larger profile tyre. I am asking for any suggestions for mags I don’t wanna buy omega or ugly mags. Or sporty looking wheels as personally I find sport mags on the non SV6, SS, HSV cars look idiotic. I am a P plater and I don’t wanna look like every other wanker p plater with their omega and Simmons or whatever other sporty wheel.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I'd suggest tracking down some standard Berlina rims....17 x 7 with 225/55/17 tyres.

A few different styles to choose from too.

Bearing in mind factory Berlina was a comfort car, assuming you have standard suspension, should be a comfortable ride.

16" look lost on a VE.

Willm

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Berlina
I'd suggest tracking down some standard Berlina rims....17 x 7 with 225/55/17 tyres.

A few different styles to choose from too.

Bearing in mind factory Berlina was a comfort car, assuming you have standard suspension, should be a comfortable ride.

16" look lost on a VE.
Yeah mine has the Sport suspension. But compared to dads Ford FG XT ute and mum FG G6 it’s horrid I know the fords have better suspension but I’ve driven many other cars and the ride quality in my Berlina wagon is pretty average. I do believe it’s been in a prang In the past tho from the original owner. But my mechanic has checked the vehicle over and It pretty good nic. I was maybe hoping for custom wheel suggestion but look like they suite the berlina/non sports look I don’t mind buying custom
Mags I am just not looking for sporty ones. I am in a grocery getter so a mag that suites would be nice

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Do you know when the shocks were last replaced? Would start there before you commit to spending on wheels and tyres. My father had an almost identical sounding SV6 wagon on factory 20" Super Sports and to me it wasn't even close to being rough.

Does the car keep moving around after you've hit a bump and it's just generally pretty "bouncy" over normal road?

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex

Willm

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Berlina
Do you know when the shocks were last replaced? Would start there before you commit to spending on wheels and tyres. My father had an almost identical sounding SV6 wagon on factory 20" Super Sports and to me it wasn't even close to being rough.

Does the car keep moving around after you've hit a bump and it's just generally pretty "bouncy" over normal road?
It’s usually after a bump or pothole but On occasion it will jump a bit on some road. It’s hates dirt or gravel roads. But also how much are shocks I recently spent $240 getting LED replacement lights for my normal lights. As I am in Geelong so high beams aren’t as necessary if I was in the country.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
If it were me doing it and I just wanted regular shock absorbers I would go for these KYB shocks:
If you've got factory FE2 suspension you should just be able to use the regular OE replacements - Front + Rear KYB EXCEL-G Shock Absorbers for HOLDEN Commodore VE V6 RWD Wagon | eBay
These are the shorter ones for lower springs - F + R KYB EXCEL-G Shock Absorbers for HOLDEN Commodore Lowered VE Wagon Ute | eBay

Will be a decent markup if you get them through a shop or mechanic (and labour). But if the shocks were replaced say, more than 60,000km ago in addition to the symptoms you describe, then there's a fair chance they're stuffed.

Last edited:

Willm

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Berlina
If it were me doing it and I just wanted regular shock absorbers I would go for these KYB shocks:
If you've got factory FE2 suspension you should just be able to use the regular OE replacements - Front + Rear KYB EXCEL-G Shock Absorbers for HOLDEN Commodore VE V6 RWD Wagon | eBay
These are the shorter ones for lower springs - F + R KYB EXCEL-G Shock Absorbers for HOLDEN Commodore Lowered VE Wagon Ute | eBay

Will be a decent markup if you get them through a shop or mechanic (and labour). But if the shocks were replaced say, more than 60,000km ago in addition to the symptoms you describe, then there's a fair chance they're stuffed.
Yeah thanks mate I really appreciate it I will mention it to my mechanic next service the car is on 177000k’s so it may not of had proper servicing or replacement of warn parts from previous owner. My mechanic I trust and he and his father have helped my family out in the past when we haven’t had much money.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
If yours is riding crap, there’s more afoot than wheels. Out of the factory, the Berlina had 17’s and felt good to drive.

Our Calais was 18’s from factory and drove really nice. Still good on factory 19’s.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
As RJK said, at 177000km you need a set of new gas struts if they are still the original set. Buy a decent brand to make the job worth doing and they will last you another 6 or 7 years. KYB and Boge are good.
Your old ones would be so flogged out it must feel like it's riding on the springs.

Willm

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Berlina
If yours is riding crap, there’s more afoot than wheels. Out of the factory, the Berlina had 17’s and felt good to drive.

Our Calais was 18’s from factory and drove really nice. Still good on factory 19’s.
Yeah as I said I believe the cars been rear ended in the past and idk the history of it I’ll have a look through the service book it appears to not of been well logged by the original owners mechanic. Yeah my car has the calais 18’s so if yours are good my car must be a miss