Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Brake Master Cyl Brace. Is there such a thing ?

Bhp Steel

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
holden
Have had turbo jap cars for the last 15+ years and one of the first things I always did was fit a brake master cylinder brace.
Makes for a firmer pedal and more feedback.

Has anyone ever seen one for a VE ? If one exists, I want one.

There is no support bracket for the VE brake master cylinder.....had a look at mine and it is a solid as a rock...you would need a sledge hammer to shift it....there is a drilled and taped hole on the end if you wished to mount a support bracket....do not believe in your firmer pedal and feedback...I think this wishful thinking....and why are we talking about the brace across the motor....this has nothing to do with the brake master cylinder!

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
No point spending time and money on a fault that isn't really there.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
There is no support bracket for the VE brake master cylinder.....had a look at mine and it is a solid as a rock...you would need a sledge hammer to shift it....there is a drilled and taped hole on the end if you wished to mount a support bracket....do not believe in your firmer pedal and feedback...I think this wishful thinking....and why are we talking about the brace across the motor....this has nothing to do with the brake master cylinder!

who is talking about a strut brace? the picture he posted, the arrow is pointing to the master cylinder brace, though hard to see.

No point spending time and money on a fault that isn't really there.

depends. get someone to mash the brake pedal while you watch the booster for forward movement. on earlier commodores as said, it was terrible. VE may be better, but until someones tested it, whats to say the fault isnt there? no point just dismissing the idea.

AusTaxi

Reaction score
Members Ride
2020 KIA STINGER GT
The mounting location will be the hardest part air ducting to your B master. Is this a race car :) have you got ducting to your rotors already?.

Not a race car. Just noticed one day after going for a spirited drive that the brake discs and pads were holding up fine but the pedal felt average. Got out at the next coffee stop and put my hand on the b master and it was f'n hot. So, I'm going to duct some air to it :) There's heaps of air flow around the discs & pads so I'll just try this and see what happens. Thinking about running a reinforced 1"- 1.5" duct from the stone tray up to the master ( keeping it away from the exhaust ). Anyway I'll post up pics as I get things done.

AusTaxi

Reaction score
Members Ride
2020 KIA STINGER GT
Which one did you buy?
And from who?

I got my set made up by Brake West in VIC some time ago but don't know if they still do them (?)

There are sets on ebay by SAFEBRAKE I think. Just make sure they're ADR approved ( have ID and Date on lines ).

Search VE BRAIDED LINES.

AusTaxi

Reaction score
Members Ride
2020 KIA STINGER GT
depends. get someone to mash the brake pedal while you watch the booster for forward movement. on earlier commodores as said, it was terrible. VE may be better, but until someones tested it, whats to say the fault isnt there? no point just dismissing the idea.

Wise words !

When it comes mass produced cars, I always believe there's room for improvement.

And with me and cars, I love to tinker / improve :D

Bhp Steel

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
holden
who is talking about a strut brace? the picture he posted, the arrow is pointing to the master cylinder brace, though hard to see.

nds. get someone to mash the brake pedal while you watch the booster for forward movement. on earlier commodores as said, it was terrible. VE may be better, but until someones tested it, whats to say the fault isnt there? no point just dismissing the idea.

I know that.....Read Smitty's post above...regarding flex ability....

Why would someone want to mash? ( please use the proper term )...... the brakes...except in an emergency....idiots!......and air conditioning the booster...come on fella's!....unless you are entering the Bathurst 500 in 2015....I do not think so.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
I know that.....Read Smitty's post above...regarding flex ability....

Why would someone want to mash? ( please use the proper term )...... the brakes...except in an emergency....idiots!......and air conditioning the booster...come on fella's!....unless you are entering the Bathurst 500 in 2015....I do not think so.

seeing as smitty mentioned a vb, id say he talking about the crappy steel bracket they used on the master cylinder, not a strut brace(which wasnt standard equipment until vy? hardly "early")

some of us enjoy putting our daily driver cars through their paces, whether it be on a quiet backroad or out on the track(ever heard of track days, dont have to be competing in professional events to push your car to its limits). this will inevitably involve mashing the stop pedal in non emergency situations. any improvements to how the car pulls up is worth pursuing.

whats wrong with trying to cool the master cylinder? we dont want boiling brake fluid. id personally look at a better quality fluid first, but we dont learn by not doing, so i see no problem with austaxi having a play with ducting some air.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R

whats wrong with trying to cool the master cylinder? we dont want boiling brake fluid. id personally look at a better quality fluid first, but we dont learn by not doing, so i see no problem with austaxi having a play with ducting some air.

if the master cyl is hot... just think how hot the caliper is.
I would be cooling the caliper with ducting .. rather than blowing a breeze on the master cylinder

as the saying goes... you are not attacking the problem at its source ;)

Bhp Steel

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
holden
seeing as smitty mentioned a vb, id say he talking about the crappy steel bracket they used on the master cylinder, not a strut brace(which wasnt standard equipment until vy? hardly "early")

some of us enjoy putting our daily driver cars through their paces, whether it be on a quiet backroad or out on the track(ever heard of track days, dont have to be competing in professional events to push your car to its limits). this will inevitably involve mashing the stop pedal in non emergency situations. any improvements to how the car pulls up is worth pursuing.

OK OK Point taken....but some many of these posts that originate here are hard to get your head around.....and appear to be written in riddles and abbreviations in text format.....never is the crux of the matter explained fully in the first place....like Smitty....the only reason I twigged about the VB was the photo after you pointed it out.....ok if you wish to go to meets etc...but I have never heard of anyone trying to cool the master brake cylinder.

I have already pointed out that the master cylinder has a drilled and taped hole in the end which would be suitable for a bracket to be bolted to the inner mud guard of the VE....which was the question put forward for this thread....but we seemed to be lost in all these other comments here of this and that....and not answering the question put forward!