Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ve commodore cold start up noise/rattle

Lordy121

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore
Hi guys! I have a 2009 Ve sportswagon (auto), for a while I have had this horrible start up noise that only occurs on cold start ups. Took it to holden and they said she needed a new timing kit, had that replaced and it still did it. Took it back and they said the oil pressure switch is faulty so they replaced that also. It is still doing it so I put new oil and filter in and also replaced the spark plugs to platinum ones and still no change! Does anyone have any information that can help? It's driving me batshit crazy

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
How long does it rattle for on cold start?
It's said the tensioners on the chain take a while to build oil pressure so the chain rattles for a few seconds and is normal.
What oil grade did use?

Lordy121

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore
A couple of seconds maybe 2-3. I went by the book and put in a fully synthetic 5w/40 I think and it was Valvoline. I have found that after the engine turns over if I put the air con on it seems to not be so bad....

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I use the same oil and like it.
AC is a mystery maybe it slows down the idle or something...

h8tensv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 SV6 2002 VX 1989 VN 5 Litre
My sv6 did that a few times after I got it back from holden after a service. I found they didn't put enough oil in it. It was on the add mark 3 days after the service. I topped up the oil to the correct level and it hasn't made that noise since.

Lordy121

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore
Oil level is fine so unsure what it could be

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
A couple of seconds maybe 2-3. I went by the book and put in a fully synthetic 5w/40 I think and it was Valvoline. I have found that after the engine turns over if I put the air con on it seems to not be so bad....

If the noise you hear changes when you have the aircon on then I suspect what you are hearing might be external to the engine and not necessarily internal. External noise can sound like it is coming from inside the engine so I would check carefully on start up with the bonnet open and someone starting the engine for you testing both with the AC on and then off. For example a bad serpentine belt squeal on a cold start will sound terrible and will not necessarily be continuous(but often is) and can last only a few seconds or it may go longer until the belt warms. If there is a noisy bearing in one of the external pulleys that only makes a racket on cold start up (for now), that could be something to eliminate as the cause of an external noise although when these pulley bearings start to become noisy the noise is normally continuous.

From what you have posted it does not look like the Holden mechanics made any effort to detect and isolate the noise for you but just changed parts to get some workshop revenue from you. In particular I cannot fathom why, if the engine noise is internal, changing an "oil pressure switch" could actually do anything to fix a cold start engine noise(and it did not of course). The OP "switch" is only there to trigger a low oil pressure warning to the dash and probably a signal to the ECU. It does not do anything to affect oil lubrication to engine parts. Oil flow is run from the engine's internal oil pump, oil pressure is generated by resistance to flow and excess oil pressure is dealt with by the oil pressure relief valve.

By the way, check your owner's manual again on the optimum oil spec for your engine. You mentioned 5w-40 is what you are using. As in the later V6 engines, I understood the preferred oil was a 5w-30 for your 2009 engine. If that is the case I would not be using a 40 weight oil.

RSN

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE
Hi guys! I have a 2009 Ve sportswagon (auto), for a while I have had this horrible start up noise that only occurs on cold start ups. Took it to holden and they said she needed a new timing kit, had that replaced and it still did it. Took it back and they said the oil pressure switch is faulty so they replaced that also. It is still doing it so I put new oil and filter in and also replaced the spark plugs to platinum ones and still no change! Does anyone have any information that can help? It's driving me batshit crazy
How did it get fixed finally, I have the same problem...

gunder

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve commodore Berlina sports
my 2011 sports wagon has just started to do it

brmadmin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventurer @ Ve Sedan hers
Hi just a thought do a video on your phone and upload it maybe someone can help further if it' a ticking sound could be lifter etc. Consumer affairs might help with this also what they have done to you is crap. If they ave done the chains and have only relied on the pin coming out for tensioning chains not good enough you gotta physically push tensioner in and out to seat properly this can some time cause a rattle in new chain not sure how long it will rattle for or indeed if it can resolve itself I would go back and get them to fix this and just let them know consumer affairs could be involved . Good luck