Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve commodore stretched timing chain repair cost??

varun

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
Details please

Have done heaps of these things, they aren't a hard job. Just a very fiddly one and very time consuming.

I wouldn't want someone that hasn't done it before touching it either.

If you're in VIC I know a good place to get it done.

Can you please give us the details of someone reliable who can do it at a good price?

kennygee

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz berlina
Just my 2c worth,i would check tensioners first, 3 tensioners and they gum up and don't give full throw to keep chain at correct tension. Really not that hard to remove cover and check them if you have reasonable tool kit. (sockets etc).Holden will tell you the chain is stretched when it usually is not just to grab more cash,anything electrical that goes wrong with VZ.VE ,their first option is :"replace ECU" when i fixed mine by replacing dirty fuse link.

ainhx001

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE commodore
Anyone recommend a good repairer in eastern suburbs of melbourne for timing chain replacement? Does have latest software as had at Holden last week and now 3 days later engine warning light is back on again and dreading how much Holden will charge. Car only ever been serviced at Holden since new so
dont know who else go to.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Anyone recommend a good repairer in eastern suburbs of melbourne for timing chain replacement? Does have latest software as had at Holden last week and now 3 days later engine warning light is back on again and dreading how much Holden will charge. Car only ever been serviced at Holden since new so
dont know who else go to.

Just wondering what Km's and what year is your car? Also there was another thread some months ago where someone did the timing chain themselves and after that still had problem with noisy chain (From memory I don't think he was getting any errors, but just not happy with the chain rattling), anyway talking to others it was mentioned that it's possible the problem is the oil pump. He did the chain again and replaced the oil pump also and all good. So when you get it done it would seem that changing the oil pump also would be good advice.

ferhater

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden MY12 sv6 series 2
I have the same problem on my sv6 series 2 my12. Andholden quoted 3200. Still have extended warranty and car has only done 35k kms. Does anyone know if this is know issue?

Aussiemandan

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore Ve v
Just want to say thanks to everyone here I have the same problem exactly the same I got a quote 1600 at my Machanic