Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Drivers Door Replacement + Lock Replacement

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Anyone have more info on getting the key lock mech out, is it trim off? Or can I do it from the outside? I have a new barrel but been a while since I removed it from the donor and I have now forgotten.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It has to be removed from the inside of the door.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm actually going about it a bit back the front, as I need to replace the door lever too but it's around three weeks away or possibly longer before they will be painted. Trouble is if my battery goes flat I'm locked out because the lock barrel is broken.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Trim off, you may need to remove the lock actuator to make access easier.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
As you have a tow bar, and the loom should be functionally the same as in VF sedans, you could always connect the electric trailer brake pin #5 to the +12V battery post via x499 connector. That way you’ll always be able to connect a charger to the battery if it ever goes flat and this always get back into your cabin (except if the lock really poops itself in which case your stuffed whatever the case)

Doing this is probably easier than stuffing around with door handles and locks now when it sounds like you’ll be doing it again later due to paint…

Check out the post and thread below…

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just going to add a little missing info here. The vid shows you basically how to remove the handle. However, to get the lock off you need to undo the three torx bolts and move the actuator and door catch away from the back of the inside of the door. You will need to disconnect the harness too, which require a small flat head screwdriver to raise the red locking clip.

To remove the barrel you need to manipulate it from the outside while holding the actuator and raising it. It is now best that you have the new lock ready to fit, in arms reach. That way the rod stays in a good spot and doesn't come off at the bottom. the lock is removed from the outside of the door.

Getting the barrel back in takes patience to not damage the paint or the seal. Once it is back on you need to fit the long part of the door lever and the barrel at the same time, both need to be cocked upwards (the right side of the lock and the left side of the handle. This is because if you push the lock in first the lever won't hook into the mechanism. If you get the lever on first the lock jambs.

Once that is done you're right to fit the lock cover as described in the vid.