Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE ECM compatibility

73monaro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S3 ute. VE Calais
Hi guys, when it comes to replacing the ECM in a VE which no’s are relevant in finding a compatible unit to the original?
Obviously the part No , but is the service no or any other numbers needing to match the original?
I have been offered two units both have the same part no and service no as my original unit, but the rest of the numbers are different and only one is close in date by one month!

Thanks guys

Yes it will get programmed to match my car.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
You only need the same ECM. Even part numbers can be superseded.

Getting as close as you can to yours is good enough.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
not sure if ur v8 or v6 but not all VE can be programmed to suit, there was a change about mid 2009 and preceding ecu wont talk with earlier vehicles, best to find your service number so all the segments within suit the vehicle

73monaro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S3 ute. VE Calais
not sure if ur v8 or v6 but not all VE can be programmed to suit, there was a change about mid 2009 and preceding ecu wont talk with earlier vehicles, best to find your service number so all the segments within suit the vehicle
my VE is a 06 built series 1 V6 auto Calais, the information I’ve been getting is conflicting as to whether you have to all exactly the same numbers or just the part/service no!
one of the ecm‘s I’ve been offered has the same part no, service no, and a build date one month later than mine, so I’m thinking I’ll grab this one and give it a go.
Thanks

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Might be stating the obvious but the new PCM will also need pairing using a high end scan tool. Assume you're aware of that?

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Th
at was with the series 1.5.
Series 2 with 6speed auto and direct injection.

Last edited:

73monaro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S3 ute. VE Calais
Update: after much stuffing around, and purchase of a MDI clone, a subscription to tech connect (tech2win & SPS) I have been able to determine the ECM is bad, with no fuel pump signal to the regulator, immobiliser is off and all other units are operational (except for the airbag, it's getting replaced today), the New (used) ECM was programmed and has excepted the correct vin, but to finalise the installation, you have to do what GM call a 10 minute tdm (theft control module) to ECM relearn using the tech2win, (this allows the ECM to actuate the fuel system). only issue is the tech2win does what it's supposed to do, but requests tis2000 approval for the ok before starting the relearn, my version of techconnect doesn't show tis2web (tis2000), but it is supposed to accompany the tech2win software. I believe this is a common issue and I hope someone can provide me with s solution (emailed GM, waiting on response)
other alternative is to find a copy of TIS2000, as this will allow me to do it directly.
I have found a few "FREE" versions on the web, but they all are dodgy, or my virus protection block them, probably for good reason.

73monaro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S3 ute. VE Calais
Further to the update: after talking to a local GM parts guy (worked for Holden since the 80's), the only No that has to match on the ECM for it to be able to be reprogrammed/cloned is the Service ID no, and further more the same ECM used in the VE/WM was also used in Colorado and craptivas and pretty much anything that used the Alloytec design.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
When the right tools are being used, data and solutions start happening.

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
Forget TIS2000 I have no idea why people talk about it.
What you need is tech2win, clone MDI, Holden 185 bin file and a late version of GlobalTIS v31 or 32 or SAAB 2011
With tech2win a MDI and GlobalTIS getting TIS approval is a piece of cake.
Basically you load up tech2win run security on globalTIS and it gives you 1 day of TIS approval and you can do it 365 days a year.