Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Engine oil spec - Finding Something that Fits

VEdriver59

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE, 09 of 2008, Omega, Auto, 3.6 Litre, 6 Cylinder
Done a couple of searches on this but didn't find anything that fits my question.

My VE owners manual states the specification for the engine oil is:
SAE 5W/30 or 10W/30 API SL/SM ILSAC GF-3 or GF-4 oil.

To date I have used stuff that is either 5W/30 or 10W/30 than by price.

Over christmass I spent nearly 2 hours in a well known auto parts shop looking for an oil that meets the above specs. I've even spent an hour pouring over their xmas catalog looking for something that matches.

Some of their oils meet some of the specs but none meet all of it.

Does anyone know of an oil that meets this entire spec for the engine oil for the VE, V6 Omega. - 2008 build date.

Also, is it the case as I have been told that almost any 5W/30 or 10W/30 oil will do so long as its not for diesels?

thanks

Last edited:

jeepyrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW 535D, VR V6 Ute
SN which came out around 2010 has pretty much superseded the older SL and SM oil standards...as has GF-5 over gf-3/4, hence why you wouldn't see many (but should still see some- I know penrite have kept one 5w30 oil at sm as it wont pass the sn requirements for low zinc (zinc being quite a handy lubricant additive but a little bad for cat convertors hence lower allowances in the newer SN oils).

The VE is prone to sludge - I would recommend a good synthetic 5w30 and regular changes *(15k is too much)

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
I wouldn't be to concerned about the oil, so long as you're buying a quality brand fully synthetic or semi syn. Penrite, Nulon, valvoline, Castrol to name a couple.
Most GM vehicles require a Dexos 1 rated oil for petrol, penrite, valvoline and Nulon do a 5w30 that meets those specs.
10w40 magnatec is good if you don't want to hurt the bank to much.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
ENVIRO+ GF-5 5W-30 (Full Synthetic)

This is the Warranty Approved Spec oil. Its the only oil that I know of that is available widely aftermarket that covers it (atleast it was when I was working behind a parts counter). The link has the full spec sheet available to you if you wish to read it. Its available pretty much anywhere.

However, you will be fine with any Synthetic 5W30/40 oil like HPR5 or if youre engine is leaking or using oil perhaps HPR10. We used to sell both to customers. Essentially the question was "is your car in warranty?" Yes, take the GF5. If not, take the HPR5.

I wouldnt put over the counter Magnatec in my car unless I owned an old Buick/Ecotec and the only Magnatec worth a damn is only available to trade in 205L drums (and is more suited towards Euro anyway).

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
How does GM Dexos 1 / Dexos 2 rate ????

Made by Fuchs

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
How does GM Dexos 1 / Dexos 2 rate ????

Made by Fuchs

If it's got the Dexos 1 or 2 rating it complies to the standards GM sets for their motors.
Penrite do a Dexos 1 5w30 (petrol) and a Dexos 2 5w40 (petrol/diesel)

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
ENVIRO+ GF-5 5W-30 (Full Synthetic)I wouldnt put over the counter Magnatec in my car unless I owned an old Buick/Ecotec and the only Magnatec worth a damn is only available to trade in 205L drums (and is more suited towards Euro anyway).
I wouldn`t put Magnatec in anything.
Last owner ran it for 10yrs 10,000k oil changers.
My oil pickup on the VS got blocked up a handful of carbon was sitting in the sump.
And someone I know had the same happen to his.

Last edited:

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Done a couple of searches on this but didn't find anything that fits my question.

My VE owners manual states the specification for the engine oil is:
SAE 5W/30 or 10W/30 API SL/SM ILSAC GF-3 or GF-4 oil.

To date I have used stuff that is either 5W/30 or 10W/30 than by price.

Over christmass I spent nearly 2 hours in a well known auto parts shop looking for an oil that meets the above specs. I've even spent an hour pouring over their xmas catalog looking for something that matches.

Some of their oils meet some of the specs but none meet all of it.

Does anyone know of an oil that meets this entire spec for the engine oil for the VE, V6 Omega. - 2008 build date.

Also, is it the case as I have been told that almost any 5W/30 or 10W/30 oil will do so long as its not for diesels?

thanks

I did similar last weekend - looking for oil spec to match an 08 Forester my wife drives. Same story couldn't find a match by the wording of the Subaru owners book. First problem was as jeepyrocks says basically they were all SN spec now, another thing specified by Subaru was something like wording on oil container like "Energy Efficient" again I didn't see anything with the wording quoted by Subaru. I wound up getting Nulon 5-30 and pouring this oil in, it sure looks a very thin oil, more so than I recall using Castrol Edge 5w-30, but may be just an impression on the day. For a VE I wouldn't use Magnatec, especially given the long oil change intervals quoted now. A good synthetic is a must do for a VE V6. I figure you are needing to spend about $50 for 5 litres of synthetic, I did pick a few containers of Edge 5W-30 a while back at Repco on special for $35 which I think was a good buy.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
If it's got the Dexos 1 or 2 rating it complies to the standards GM sets for their motors.
Penrite do a Dexos 1 5w30 (petrol) and a Dexos 2 5w40 (petrol/diesel)

Nulon 5w30 oil meets the same standard , I get the GM-Delco 5w30 dexos1 quite cheap through the local GM- Holden parts shop , but me thinks it's the same as the Fuchs oil

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Valvoline MST 5W30 also complies with Dexos2.

On an Alloytec I would strictly run 5w30 (don't put 10w in it) and change it every 7,500kms. Especially on a used one that's likely to have had neglected servicing at some point.