Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Flip keys?

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
So it's possible, but requires a lot of stuffing around, and could be quite expensive just for one key?

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Or depending on size of key, placement on buttons & if the older model PCB's are single layer boards, I'd attempt a cut/chop into a key to retrofit, I think I could pull it off.... Just need money first

Cheers
MaT

genetic_freak

Technical Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR berlina 304
i'm not exactly fluent with the VE keys but i'd assume the run on an RF signal (rob correct me if i'm wrong) and the VY keys are single layer double sided pcb's if thats any help.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
even if you get the RF working theres no provision for the contact to read the key, you could unlock it but not start it.

yes nick its RF 433meg

Rob

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
even if you get the RF working theres no provision for the contact to read the key, you could unlock it but not start it.

yes nick its RF 433meg

Rob

Easy modification to make a contact...

I might try it, in a few months though lol

Cheers
MaT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive S2 3.8L
lol woof/meow.
you are correct but on the other hand not entirely impossible you would need a qualified RF engineer, an RF reader and a fairly extensive noggin to tune a key to the same RF as the VY key.:whistling i know nothing

LMAO the technical tuning required is to simply cut some traces under the PIC chip, they match up on the receiver to the key remote. I highly doubt that it would be more difficult than that.... Have you tried?
Colin

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
LMAO the technical tuning required is to simply cut some traces under the PIC chip, they match up on the receiver to the key remote. I highly doubt that it would be more difficult than that.... Have you tried?
Colin

Its really not that simple man, the VE key is a Delphi unit & in no way similar to the VT type made by AAPL.
the VN-VP type you are talking about is a Cobra or Mongoose system & can be roughly tuned by cutting the tracks to the Chip, they still need to be fine tuned using the trimming pot though.

oh BTW genetic_freak knows more about the VT-VY BCM systems than anyone.

Rob

andrewmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VE SS
And just so ppl know i find the VE key is more bulky than the previous.
While it is smaller in width it is alot thicker and IMO i the old style is easier to slip into your pocket but wit the VE you can feel it there.(nothing major but just an opinion)

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I wouldn't get to excited.
I have been less than impressed by similar style keys from a variety of manufactures and are to me a sales gimmick.
When they stop flicking out we will be reading threads on how to convert back to the VS-Z key style.
A key with moving parts just asks for iver engineered trouble. It's just a flammin' key!

fluxxx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim S1
Or depending on size of key, placement on buttons & if the older model PCB's are single layer boards, I'd attempt a cut/chop into a key to retrofit, I think I could pull it off.... Just need money first

Cheers
MaT

i thought the same thing, the circuit board in my vy key is double sided and not overly complex so im sure it could be modified or a new pcb made to fit the flip key remote.

ive already got my hand on the actual blade part of a ve flip key and have taken it to a key cutting place to be cut and they told me it cannot be done.. im completely ignorant to how keys work but surely it cant be that hard. the guy didnt look like the quickest of cats so when i get time ill take it somewhere else

as for the contact and starting the car, even if you didnt modify the ve key to contain a contact for the imobiliser, you could just press the unlock button on the key fob to disable the imobiliser if it is armed and then start the car anyway... the contact is there more for convinience then anything else

matt