Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE headers on VF

Vonrottes

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
My G8 (VE) just got totaled by insurance and I'm buying it back to use the engine/transmission in another project and part out the car.
Last year I just installed Stainless Works headers on it and I'm just curious if the VE headers will fit on a VF.
I read the oil cooler gets in the way, which I'm fine with switching that out to a oil-air cooler. But a local guy said the steering shaft may have clearance issues..

When searching VE extractors on VF I just find listings for headers that fit both models

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
My G8 (VE) just got totaled by insurance and I'm buying it back to use the engine/transmission in another project and part out the car.
Last year I just installed Stainless Works headers on it and I'm just curious if the VE headers will fit on a VF.
I read the oil cooler gets in the way, which I'm fine with switching that out to a oil-air cooler. But a local guy said the steering shaft may have clearance issues..

When searching VE extractors on VF I just find listings for headers that fit both models
small world my Lad goes to college in finlay ohio just got back to Aust lask week for your summer break.

Re Headers any VE header fits the VF, never heard of issues with coolers i did have a issue on my VF with dipstick tube not fitting new headers so bough a aftermarket one.

Vonrottes

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
small world my Lad goes to college in finlay ohio just got back to Aust lask week for your summer break.

Re Headers any VE header fits the VF, never heard of issues with coolers i did have a issue on my VF with dipstick tube not fitting new headers so bough a aftermarket one.
I've lived in Ohio 23 years and I don't think I've ever been to Findlay other than passing through going to Toledo

Good to know, the Chevy SS forums said G8 headers don't fit. But that just didn't make sense to me. Don't have an issue buying the right part, but if I can reuse the ones I already have why would I drop another $1,500 when I don't need to ✌️

I also had an issue with the dipstick clearing on my G8 so I ended up getting a Lokar flexible one

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF Series 2 SSV Redline.
Not sure about the VFs but on the VEs some of the early aftermarket headers had clearance issues on the drivers side because of the steering shaft. Unfortunately some shops sorted the fitment issues out with a hammer.
Good luck with your project.

Reactions: Lex

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Wasn't there more than just LHD verses RHD differences between US speced cars verses Aussie speced cars?

I thought the US speced cars got the oil cooler bolted to the side of the engine (amount other things) hence clearance issues while non of our Aussie cars got such a feature other than the last batch of limited edition vehicles sold down under and in NZed.

Best consider such LHD related questions are best answered by LHD owners ;)

Vonrottes

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
You might not get correct LHD answers from RHD people, especially if steering clearance is an issue.
The G8 & SS are both LS3 aren't they?
Not even gonna lie, I forgot our steering wheel was on the wrong side
So I guess I'll figure out if they fit or not when I get a SS

But essentially the G8 came with the l76 for the GT version I had and LS3 in the much more expensive and sought after GXP.
And the SS ONLY came with the LS3 in the states.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I know the headers I fitted to the LS3 in my E3 wont fit the LS3 in my Magnum due to the position of the oil/coolant heat exchanger.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I forgot our steering wheel was on the wrong side
Wrong side is just an issue of perspective.

Years ago I wish we did a “Sweden” and changed from RHD to LHD down under back when we changed from imperial to metric… We could have had a more interesting selection of vehicles available for sale here with less faffing about having to convert LHD to RHD … It was a missed opportunity really :rolleyes: