Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE HSV LS2 into a VY SS

Ddridan

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ R8 Clubsport
Hi, I've recently been in talks with a friend of buying his LS2 out of his VE Clubby and swapping out my LS1. The engine has all the mods I need and makes decent power, but what exactly will I need to fit it and get it running.
As far as I'm aware I'll need:
-Cable throttle body (102mm for bigger manifold)
-Wiring harness adapters

Is the mounting the same for the gear box?
And in regards to the wiring adapters, what adapters am I looking for?

If there is anyone who has done this swap I'd love some advice.

Cheers.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
Do some research on the Reluctor wheel, from memory the LS1 and early LS2 had a 24 tooth wheel where as the later LS2 had a 58 tooth wheel, memory is a bit sketchy, if it is different you have to either change the wheel which means removing the crankshaft or you have to get a converter box to change the signal, so that the PCM can read the signal from the wheel, from what I have read the converter boxes can be a bit temperamental.

Ddridan

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ R8 Clubsport
I do remember reading something about the different amount of teeth but thought it was on the other 6.0Ls like the L98, will definitely make sure I check now though. Would probably be easier to get an adapter than swap out the crank.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
there are a few small things like i think the dipstick is in a different spot and could be in the way, may be same in vy but i can remember my mechanic was putting a vz ls2 into a ve for a customer and there was a few small issues like that, so just look around the engine and see where everything is situated, belts, pulleys, starter, a/c compressor, oil filter is at the back in ve, sump is different, ve alternator charging is run by the ecu not like the vy...

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
Your LS1 sump and pickup/windage tray will fit the LS2, but as stated, you will have to relocate your dipstick.
Some are in the block, some in the sump.
I think you will find that the LS2 being a GEN4 engine, will have the 58 reluctor wheel.

Ddridan

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ R8 Clubsport
Will having the dipstick in a different place to the LS1 be bad though? Or is it in a hard spot to get to while in a VY?
I had a gander at the reluctor wheel teeth and only pre '05 LS2 are 24 tooth.
In regards to the alternator, what can be done about that? Any way of changing that?

Thanks heaps for the advise so far guy!

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
Going from a rear sump(VE) to a front sump(VY), so dipstick needs to be relocated to suit the sump.
Early LS2 engines were only in VZ HSV. All should be 58 tooth regardless. VE LS2 has different ECU to VZ LS2.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
Early LS2 engines were only in VZ HSV. All should be 58 tooth regardless. VE LS2 has different ECU to VZ LS2.

Pretty sure this is correct from memory.
VZ LS2 use the same reluctor wheel as LS1's while the VE LS2, L76/98 use a different reluctor wheel, can't remember which is which.
VZ LS2 uses an E40 ecu while the VZ L76/98 6.0L and VE V8's use the E38 ecu.

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
The VZ LS2 ECU is one of its own. Not on any other Holden. I maybe wrong on the reluctor whell, but my info says all GEN1V engines have 58 tooth.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
i know u can get the old style alternators for ve so could be worth a look or i dont know if the ls1 alt fits ve system, does the steering rack get in the way since ve rack is in front of the engine not behind...