Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE lube questions.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
LSA diffs ARE sealed for life, their life being about 30,000km before they're replaced at the second service(or earlier), due to the amount of sparkly bits and noise they generate. At least, during the warranty period...:cool:

Haha! That's why Mine's getting changed next service which will be 27mths and around 8k kms. No noise so far.. :)

Penrite 75-90 going in :)

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
the diff is a single gear drive the has the whole load of the vehicle against it 100% of the time either forward/cruise/decel, and holden want the oil sealed for life.... change it regularly it will last longer i do mine every year or two depending on km done

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSA diffs ARE sealed for life, their life being about 30,000km before they're replaced at the second service(or earlier), due to the amount of sparkly bits and noise they generate. At least, during the warranty period...:cool:

the diff is a single gear drive the has the whole load of the vehicle against it 100% of the time either forward/cruise/decel, and holden want the oil sealed for life.... change it regularly it will last longer i do mine every year or two depending on km done

Couldn't agree more. I would love to know the scientific argument to justify their 'sealed for life' crap.

The diff is arguably more 'metal to metal' than anywhere else in the drivetrain.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
I changed mine at 100,000 miles, it was fairly clean. A word of caution, use the AC Delco Lubricant. Is made with the right blend of chemicals. Not saying other brands are better or worse, but if I want a longer life free of drama, going OEM is not a bad idea. Also including the transmission fluid.

Now, doing some with the vehicle beside normal driving, some like drifting, burnouts, racing... that is another story.

By the way... do not overfill the differential. On this application, more oil can do more harm than good. Just fill to the correct amount.

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
Couldn't agree more. I would love to know the scientific argument to justify their 'sealed for life' crap.

The diff is arguably more 'metal to metal' than anywhere else in the drivetrain.

Their only argument would be that it keeps servicing/maintenance costs down for the fleet buyers

Once the fleet buyers have offloaded the vehicles due to age/kilometres travelled, it'll become the new owners problem

If changing the diff oil/transmission fluid was included earlier in the service schedules, the Commodore (or any make/model for that matter) would become less attractive to fleet buyers and a substantial reduction in sales would result

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
Their only argument would be that it keeps servicing/maintenance costs down for the fleet buyers

Once the fleet buyers have offloaded the vehicles due to age/kilometres travelled, it'll become the new owners problem

If changing the diff oil/transmission fluid was included earlier in the service schedules, the Commodore (or any make/model for that matter) would become less attractive to fleet buyers and a substantial reduction in sales would result

Yeah good point, and to be fair, HSV include a diff fluid change at (I think) 36mths, so obviously they recognise the fluid degrades. It's a shame Holden don't include it for the V8's at least, unless I'm mistaken.

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
Yeah good point, and to be fair, HSV include a diff fluid change at (I think) 36mths, so obviously they recognise the fluid degrades. It's a shame Holden don't include it for the V8's at least, unless I'm mistaken.

There we go - HSV include a diff oil change as part of their service schedule, yet Holden don't - Go figure

Just had a quick review of my service booklet for a VE V8 - No mention of any diff oil change and the transmission isn't recommended to be carried out until 150,000K :O

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
There we go - HSV include a diff oil change as part of their service schedule, yet Holden don't - Go figure

Just had a quick review of my service booklet for a VE V8 - No mention of any diff oil change and the transmission isn't recommended to be carried out until 150,000K :O

Just had a look at my servicing schedule.. 54mths/90k kms for diff fluid (too long) and 90mths/ 150k kms for tranny fluid (again too long).

That's LSA specific..Would be interested to see what they specify for their LS3's..

4CACD4AC-23A3-4B62-8C1E-DB3B385F1603.jpeg

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina

That would be because HSV recognise that their customers often put a significant amount of power through the diff and that increases the need for servicing. And that Holden like to pretend maintenance costs are low until you need a new diff and trans after 10 years $$$