Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE no start?

No eye deer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina 2005
Hey fellas,
my son is working on a VE that wont start. 3.6. Auto.
Turns over fine. Guessing fuel pump?
Its not my car,and a friend owns it. No other work has been done to it recently. It has 270KM on it.
Anything leap to mind before the mechanic?

Thanks fellas
Mark

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Logically, if the engine 'turns over' then the battery has charge, the engine has NOT seized. Therefore, it MUST be either electrical or fuel. You can start to narrow down by checking for fuel presence (in the tank - ensure NO water present) and fuel flow.

Electrical problems can be a little (LOT) more difficult without appropriate equipment. If you can, check for an ERROR CODES present.

As the vehicle has apparently travelled 270 KM (I presume from that you really mean 270,000 kms) many parts/components have likely met the end of their working lives.

Has the car been well maintained, regularly serviced in accordance with Holden's recommendations ?

Perhaps it's time to seriously consider just how much money you should be throwing at it considering age etc.

Have you considered calling your Auto Club (RAA, NRMA, RACV, RACQ etc) who may be able to identify the problem(s) with any initial out of pocket expense. It might even pay to join if not a member. Always good value for those not very mechanically inclined (makes a great and timely Christmas present too). Good luck.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Hey fellas,
my son is working on a VE that wont start. 3.6. Auto.
Turns over fine. Guessing fuel pump?
Its not my car,and a friend owns it. No other work has been done to it recently. It has 270KM on it.
Anything leap to mind before the mechanic?

Thanks fellas
Mark

why do I get the feeling we're only being told half the story here?

No eye deer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina 2005
The car doesnt belong to me (as stated) . You read what I know. What part of this story are we missing?

No eye deer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina 2005
Yeah, they arent very "mechanical".
Logically, if the engine 'turns over' then the battery has charge, the engine has NOT seized. Therefore, it MUST be either electrical or fuel. You can start to narrow down by checking for fuel presence (in the tank - ensure NO water present) and fuel flow.

Electrical problems can be a little (LOT) more difficult without appropriate equipment. If you can, check for an ERROR CODES present.

As the vehicle has apparently travelled 270 KM (I presume from that you really mean 270,000 kms) many parts/components have likely met the end of their working lives.

Has the car been well maintained, regularly serviced in accordance with Holden's recommendations ?

Perhaps it's time to seriously consider just how much money you should be throwing at it considering age etc.

Have you considered calling your Auto Club (RAA, NRMA, RACV, RACQ etc) who may be able to identify the problem(s) with any initial out of pocket expense. It might even pay to join if not a member. Always good value for those not very mechanically inclined (makes a great and timely Christmas present too). Good luck.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
The car doesnt belong to me (as stated) . You read what I know. What part of this story are we missing?

when did the car stop working?

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Before seeing a mechanic, I'd be checking the fuses and relays. Checking fuses with a multimeter preferably (or test light), as I've been caught out with blown fuses that looked fine on visual check. (Might just be my eyesight).
In my VN, when the fuel pump started to die a trick was to give the fuel tank a kick while someone else was turning it over. Got some interesting looks while doing that in a pub car park. But stuffs me how you'd do that on a VE. Or if it is even the same type of pump that would work on. Actually it even worked if I gave the tank a kick then went and started it, which would be much safer than being under the car whilst trying to start it (if you can even reach the tank).