Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE OTR & CAT- back exhaust upgrade - worth it?? or go more??

V8ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Commodore ute 2009
G'day first time on here posting,

I've got a VE Ute SS and im looking to get some more sound & maybe a little more kick out of her.

I've done a little web research (cause I'm new to the modifications scene) and chatted to a few people but I wanna know if its worth just getting the bare essentials done (OTR Intake & a 2 1/2" cat-back exhaust), or keep going while someone is under it and get new cat's or even headers as well i'e a whole system?

Cheers

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
Welcome V8ute - Do the whole exhaust mate if you got the funds also if you gonna get the OTR you would most likely need a mafless tune
There's a few places out there that do packages for this
Hope this helps

V8ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Commodore ute 2009
Thanks for the welcome Munz,
Yeah I've got the funds (will have to sneak a few more dollars passed the missus) but I don't wanna spend too much for my first mod. I got a quote to do "rosso" CAI, Mild Steel & S/S cat-back options which they only can offer Redback or Xforce brands.
Looking around on these forums there are mixed responses on both of these claiming there is tinnyness & droning noises, also a few saying they are awesome, but most of them saying they are average.
Thanks for the advice on the mafless tune the guys who did the quote specified a dyno only, which I imagine would be the same thing??!

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Most tuners offer upgrade packages which include your otr, tune and zorst. Everyone has a different opinion on exhausts but it's what you like that matters. I've had a few different systems on different cars and can say the KPM beats everything i've had hands down. If possible try and hear some in the flesh, much better than sound files on the web!

deano77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 60-th Anniversary
I had a dilemma myself, what to do, cat back, full system etc...

Definitely decided to go 3" full system, OTR and tune... Will cost bit of $$$, but I can't have it sound like a vacuum cleaner for 2 long...

Checked 4 workshops down here in Adelaide, cost is anything between $5,500-$6000...
I have to admit that one of those places quoted me $7200 :bang:, not sure how they get any business if they are ripping ppl off that much...

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
There's a few options with everything you're interested in, so it pays to do your research on how you want your car to behave, rather than what everyone else wants.

For instance, there are OTRs that will require a MAFless tune (Russo, Ramjet, etc) but there or some which will allow for a MAF tune (ie, retain the MAF sensor for legality reasons like the VCM OTR intake - although this one can also be MAFless). The difference between MAF and MAFless is not such a big issue with the VEs - it used to be a significant restriction but now there's around a ~1-2rwkw difference, depending on your tuner. Some still prefer to remove the MAF while others are much more willing to retain it.

There's also a variety of headers, cats and exhaust designs which can make a difference. There are pros and cons for long headers vs short, tri-y headers, varying degrees of high-flow cats and varying degrees of legality.

There are a few places in Sydney that are definitely worth talking to. Oztrack is one, also Marrano's in croydon, SAS in silverwater and Castle Hill Performance Centre. There are plenty of other quality workshops but these would be the 'famous' ones. I know Cromer Exhaust does some very nice work, as does Northmead Performance.

Unless you're planning on taking the FI route or camming the car, then there's no NEED to go bigger than a 2.5inch exhaust. That size (depending on design) is ideal for a mechanically stock motor - however you won't find any negative effects going to a 3 inch - some systems sound better as 2.5, others sound better as 3 - so spend some time on youtube, having a listen to what other people have fitted (and if the products are not available locally, it's easy to order interstate and have it shipped to your preferred workshop) - but also call around some of your local exhaust shops and go in and have a listen and see what you like.

OTR, full system and tune can cost anywhere from $3,000 to around $9,000 - depending on brands and/or custom work.

V8ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Commodore ute 2009
Wow! Thanks lads for all your precious advice, you've really opened my eyes a little about it all.
I'm thinking I'm not gunna stuff around and I'll see if I can sort out a package deal that does a OTR Intake and a full system c/w dyno etc..
I've been busting to do exactly what you say and Have a listen in the flesh so I can say "Hell yeah I want one of those!", and I have been to a couple of places, but they haven't had the same car in the shop.
You tube has been good, but nothing like actually listening in person, so I might do a ring around and when they are going to fit something in a VE I'll pop over if I have time, to have a sticky beak.

Is it worth going to Stainless steel? has anyone tried out a mild steel setup?

Prices I received were:
Russo performance CAI: $650
2.5" Mild Steel cat-back: $800
2.5" S/S cat-back: $1400
dyno: $900

Thanks Tinsnips, I'll give those guys a ring. Much appreciated!

cashie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V
I've got a VE Ute SS and im looking to get some more sound & maybe a little more kick out of her.

Mate, if you are after some more sound and a bit more poke go an OTR and 2.5" cat-back only with a tune.
As a bonus, you will probably gain some fuel economy too.

V8ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Commodore ute 2009
I was thinking that originally cashie, but some very light arm bending from the lads, I've decided to go the whole hog! I think I was subconsciously thinking of doing more, so it didn't take much convincing.
Now the fun begins of pricing and best brands available, also as much Aussie made stuff as possible would be a bonus.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Basically allow $4k for a decent exhaust. There are cheaper ones around, just depends what you're after. Tunes vary a fair bit from mail order to custom. Mine for example is tuned using efilive software and the results are awesome for the $700 odd bucks but you can get mail orders for around the $450, custom dyno get up towards $1000, depending on the shop you use. OTR, well there's plenty around and everyone has their opinions. Mine is made by Duspeed and i'm very happy with it. I had one on my vz ss and liked it so didn't change for the ve but you have a few options available to you. The most popular seem to be VCM, Duspeed and orssom.