Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE p0430 code issues

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
The front drivers side O2 sensor on the Alloytec can be a real bugger to get out. Can't get mine out no matter what!

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Make sure they getting good earth I also seen them do funny things if moisture / condensation is present which happens in busy traffic or just running around town at low speed.

Craft1979

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF commodore SS ute
should have looked at cat temps 400c instead of 3 minute run time
i think your seized o2 is the problem one
went from a reasonable reading to lean
The seized one is drivers side wouldn’t that be a 420 code the one that keeps coming up is 430

syked

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 WM Caprice
Your catalytic converters should have a higher temperature. Maybe the replacement ones are not performing as they should be. Were they genuine?

Also in one of your photos it shows short term fuel trim on bank 2 sensor 2 as 99.2. This is completely weird because sensors post cat should not be recording fuel trim.

You should check B1S1, B1S2, B2S1 and B2S2 voltages again at 2000rpm.
Both Sensor 1 readings should fluctuate between high and low values
Both sensor 2 readings should stay constant high

I remember reading a comment on here about the catalytic converter gasket also being a culprit for these catalytic inefficient DTCs

A couple of other things to note and consider;
1) Holden released ECU software calibration for the catalytic efficiency meaning it would change the threshold before it triggers a check engine light.

2) there are adaptors you can buy which contain a mini catalytic converter inside. Basically you put this in the current location of the post cat O2 sensors and then put the O2 sensors in the adaptors. This means the sensors actually read the mini catalytic converters for efficiency and no more check Engine light.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I replaced with genuine sensors but as u say swap passenger to drivers the p0430 is passenger side issue also I tried to do that pryer to paying for a second o2 sensor and I can’t remove drivers side front sensor even with the right tool as it’s jammed
Try it when they are warm (as in 50-60°), (not hot). They will be easier. Can be near impossible when cold sometimes.

mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
As others have said, this code relates to what the post-cat (rear) sensor detects. It has nothing to do with front O2 sensors.

Explanation:
The cat's sole job is to remove any unburned fuel and CO (carbon monoxide) remaining in the exhaust and convert it into carbon dioxide (CO2) and water. To undertake this chemical reaction, the cat needs oxygen. It scavenges the remaining oxygen from the exhaust during lean-burn periods (when you see the front O2 sensor at low-voltage).

It then uses that oxygen to convert (oxidise) the CO. The signal coming from the rear sensor should be more-or-less flatline if the cat is working properly. It releases oxygen during rich conditions, and it accumulates oxygen during lean conditions. All this can happen multiple times per second.

The post-cat sensor's job is to monitor the catalytic converter's oxygen storage capacity.

The ECU is programmed to actively test the catalytic converter only under very specific operating conditions - this includes parameters such:

Engine at normal operating temp
More than 1/4 tank of fuel
No DTCs in the ECU
Less than 30% throttle
Above 70kph
After 7 minutes of stable conditions etc

...so generally during highway driving conditions. This explains why you may only get the check engine light sporadically.

This is a very complicated topic.
Google 'Catalytic converter monitor drive cycle' to learn more.

Either you have a buggered sensor or wiring, the cat is not working properly, or you have an exhaust leak (air entering) in the exhaust before the cat.

Last edited:

kwaka738

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY09 Berlina Sportwagon

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Hi All, I am now getting the P430-00 DTC happening, (On my VZ Adventra LY7tho, same engine different car)
I am assuming it could be caused by Both o2 Sensors, because I get the Codes from them, and then the P430-00 code every time when I scan it.

Are any other members having the same issue with a P430-00 DTC at the moment ?

There is a few other quirky things happening, loosing water, but not leaking it
I checked the Plugs to see if any of them are burning different, but seem ok, as I thought Head Gasket.

Last edited:

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
As others have said, this code relates to what the post-cat (rear) sensor detects. It has nothing to do with front O2 sensors.

Explanation:
The cat's sole job is to remove any unburned fuel and CO (carbon monoxide) remaining in the exhaust and convert it into carbon dioxide (CO2) and water. To undertake this chemical reaction, the cat needs oxygen. It scavenges the remaining oxygen from the exhaust during lean-burn periods (when you see the front O2 sensor at low-voltage).

It then uses that oxygen to convert (oxidise) the CO. The signal coming from the rear sensor should be more-or-less flatline if the cat is working properly. It releases oxygen during rich conditions, and it accumulates oxygen during lean conditions. All this can happen multiple times per second.

The post-cat sensor's job is to monitor the catalytic converter's oxygen storage capacity.

The ECU is programmed to actively test the catalytic converter only under very specific operating conditions - this includes parameters such:

No DTCs in the ECU
Less than 30% throttle
Above 70kph

...so generally during highway driving conditions. This explains why you may only get the check engine light sporadically.

This is a very complicated topic.
Google 'Catalytic converter monitor drive cycle' to learn more.

Either you have a buggered sensor or wiring, the cat is not working properly, or you have an exhaust leak (air entering) in the exhaust before the cat.
Your Comment as -
"The ECU is programmed to actively test the catalytic converter only under very specific operating conditions - this includes parameters such:

No DTCs in the ECU
Less than 30% throttle
Above 70kph

...so generally during highway driving conditions. This explains why you may only get the check engine light sporadically. ?

Is exactly the conditions its happening at.

Last edited:

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
I just read @RiCeY's thread/answers,
& @mechanic comments,

I recon I will Smoke Test it first, to see if it is the cat gaskets,
or any other leak on bank 2 (Manifold cracked, manifold gasket, broken weld on the pipe or joint)

Last edited: