Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fault code P0158 O2 sensor circuit high voltage please help..

anthonyclemsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6 201q
Hi I have changed 2 ecu's on my 2011 ve the car would drive until it got hot and cut out with all instruments going haywire and engine warning light flickering. I changed the ecu and it ran fine for few months until it did the same thing so I have changed it again and now the fault code P0158 has come up. Is this just a simple fix by changing out o2 sensor and would this cause the ecu to fry also. Thanks in advance for your help.

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
No it would not cause the ECU to fry it's probably a real fault with the sensor (MAYBE)
Could be a wiring issue also if other sensors are playing up but you would need to diagnose all the codes that come up if there are any others.
As for having 2 ECU's fail that is quite unlucky or something else going on.
I would be taking a careful look at what the alternator is putting out as the main thing that can cause electronic failure is heat and high voltage and believe it or not but heat can be the result of to high a voltage going into the system.
I have seen a faulty alternator take out multiple electronic devices on a motorbike which cost a LOT of money to fix.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Refer to the attached from the Holden VE Workshop manual. Not sure if your V6 is a VVT or a later VFX so I have included info on both.
Reading the description, it sounds like you may have a wiring problem on the HO2S since it seems to correspond with the car going into Closed Loop.

Attachments

• DTC P0137, P0138, P0140, P0157, P0158, or P0160 (with LFX).pdf
    319.2 KB · Views: 123
  • VE DTC P0137, P0138, P0140, P0157, P0158, or P0160 (with LLT).pdf
    312 KB · Views: 104

anthonyclemsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6 201q
No it would not cause the ECU to fry it's probably a real fault with the sensor (MAYBE)
Could be a wiring issue also if other sensors are playing up but you would need to diagnose all the codes that come up if there are any others.
As for having 2 ECU's fail that is quite unlucky or something else going on.
I would be taking a careful look at what the alternator is putting out as the main thing that can cause electronic failure is heat and high voltage and believe it or not but heat can be the result of to high a voltage going into the system.
I have seen a faulty alternator take out multiple electronic devices on a motorbike which cost a LOT of money to fix.
Thanks very much.