Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ve poor quality

Cursed CX8

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra
ah yer, iv got a pioneer amp that would work, but i dunno, im not wanted to upgrade anything to make it insane, i just want to get rid of the stupid rattle.

If only the sv6 came with the amp in the boot, stupid car lol

RayLamp

Gone Fishin'...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline and LTZ RG Colorado
Ive looked into upgrading the sound in my VE. I got a proposal together. and its kind of pretty simple.

The best way to achieve good overall quality is to get a Car Stereo High to Low Level Converter, which runs your speaker wires to RCA connectors. These should then go into a 4 channel amp, which runs all of your in cabin speakers. You then run a 2 channel amp to run the two subs in the parcel shelf.

So you replace the fronts (door speakers and dash tweeters) with a good split front speaker with crossovers. (holden consider these to be separate speakers, cheeky boys). So the two front speakers are holden speak for 4.

With the rear door speakers, you get similar speakers to the front, but the tweeter is acutally built into the main speaker. So once again, holden classify these as separate speakers. So there are 4 more speakers.

(we are up to 8 now...)

As CSP says, you just simply rip out the front centre. Its useless and actually would cause you grief as a 4 channel amp wouldnt power it.

(So thats 9 speakers now)

With your two rear parcel shelf subs, you can get 2 x 6 inch subs running off another 2 channel amp. You rip out the factory amp, it would be useless for quality sound. These happen to actually be 2 separate speakers lol.

So theres your 11 speakers, upgraded. Still using the factory head unit. Not taking up any additional boot space. And not being noticable from the outside of the car, as you are installing speakers in the factory covers etc.

And as far as good speakers go, Focal make some good ones. I think they are Dutch and made there (as opposed to dutch owned and chinese made). I've got european home theatre speakers and they are awesome. The focal polyglass speakers would be a great fit both physically and sound wise in the VE. They do good small shelf subs too.

joshtaylor87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina
I agree that Focal speakers are very good. The Pollyglass series and up are made in their labs in France, the cheaper Access series speakers are designed in their France labs but made in China. If funds permit I would have a look at the K2 Power series over the Polyglass series. The top of the range 165 K2P splits sound great. I was considering getting these myself but the Dynaudio System 242 GT's sounded so much better to me and only a couple hundred dollars more than the Focal K2P's so I went for the Dynaudio speakers. However most people wouldn't want to spend over $1000 on a pair of speakers. So the Pollyglass series (V1 at around $350 or V2 around $450) is definitely a very good speaker for the money.

I would also suggest running the two subs in parallel (or series depending on the subs impedance) off of a mono amp rather than a two channel.

Edit:
I've just seen that it looks like Focal have had an update in September this year. It looks like the K2 Power series has been replaced with the "KR Kevlar" series. And some new models in the Pollyglass series. I haven't looked at the Focal gear in about 6 months. It's amazing how much can change in 6 months! I will have to go and check out the new models.

Last edited:

Mark17

hotrotor.17
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute 60th Ann
I Bought a brand new VS sedan Executive and had some major problem with it. It went back to the dealer many many a time for a bad VIBRATION through the car. At one stage they kept it for 6 weeks!!! Got it back still no good it got worse i found out they took out the entire dash to fix problem. The vibration was coming from the firewall, in the end they could not fix it so they decided to give me a brand new car replacement. They said we do get about 5 lemons and unfortunately i just happened to get one of them!!! I have still got the new one they replaced for me with now 77,100klms on the clock it has been good not a single problem with it. I asked what they were going to do with the LEMON and they said sell it at the auction Pitty the person who buys it it only done 8,000 klms
Mark