Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Problem Child - Timing Chain vs CAS

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^ yeah I have difficulty understanding how multiple rockers would break in that fashion without some piston to valve love bumping helping it along.

I’ve also got no idea how much new rockers would cost even if the pistons, head and valves seem ok on visual examination and cylinder leak down seems good.

It could all end up being a lot of effort pulling things appart, some cost in rockers and a lot of time frittered away only to find there are deeper issues the final decision to buy a new engine is made. In my younger days, been there done that :rolleyes:

@Scott Fowler hope all goes well and do keep us informed of the progress.

Scott Fowler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina 2006
Wow that has bloody low km for an 06.
Very well maintained I'm guessing I don't think this is a common failure?

The more you actually dig around, it's amazing what you find out after reading other people's experiences, which is great in hindsight, but you never really expect this from a trusted brand (Holden and Commodore), but If I'd known what I know now, I would never have bought this model 8 years ago. Don't get me wrong, I grew up in a "Holden" family. Dad had a 5.0 HQ station wagon and then a 4.2 VB Commodore SLE (which I learn't to drive on and bought from him when I got my P's way back then), and then a 3.0 EFI VK Calais.
I had the previously mentioned VB, which ended up stroked out to 273 ci with a turbo 400 gearbox and shortened 9 inch diff. Then it was onto a VH 4.2 4 speed manual SS. After that was a VK SSV 5.0 which then made way for my most loved car, my VK HDT Brock Calais 5.0 (which I then regrettably sold due to it always trying to be stolen..), after the 3rd theft attempt, enough was enough so I upgraded to a VT 5.7 Clubsport that had an unfortunate incident involving a telegraph pole, and then I needed a car quickly for work and purchased the VE.

Now from what I've uncovered, this model was drastically flawed....

It is known now that the VE model released between Jan 2006 and 18th March 2007 with engine numbers H053340001 - H071380576 was the new model on which the Commodores today are based on, so anyone buying a nice new VE V6 became Holden's test pilots for this car. Holden knew there was an issue with the manufacturing process of the 7.7mm timing chains produced for the above engine numbers, and they also fitted the motor with crank and cam sensors as well as front and rear oxygen sensors. Timing chain stretch became apparent and was rectified only on cars that were returned to Holden voluntarily by customers who had heard about the product recall.
Holden then discovered on these affected models that in some cases, because of the timing chain fault, the rockers could be affected after the chain had "stretched", but did not replace these in the recall under warranty.
The cam sensors and the oxygen sensors also became an issue with premature failure quite common.
Holden then released a diagnosis guide to it's mechanics which stated the step by step procedure for testing and diagnosis. The checks systematically outlined what had to be checked/replaced in a stringent order...All the sensors, the wiring, oil pressure, and the computer were checked first (electrical system first then mechanical) before the timing chains were even considered to be checked. All these checks, and or replacements, would generate a nice little sum of money for them at the customers expense before the customer was slugged even more dollars to have the timing issue rectified, and if the rockers were deemed faulty or replaced as a precaution, the repair bill became very expensive.
We now have a situation with these cars, much like replacing the ink cartridges in your computer printer...it's cheaper to buy a new printer than to buy new cartridges in some cases, and now it's cheaper to buy a replacement engine than to have the existing motor repaired.
It is true, that today we live in a disposable society.

Ok, with today's rant completed, it's back to the repairs...thanks for listening.....

(The old days..when life and cars were simpler...)
Brock 05.jpg

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
Well it looks like you're going all in with this one.

Obviously you've done a cylinder leakdown test and checked all the cam's lobes, the valve springs and top of cylinder heads and found no drastic damage around the cams where broken rockers may have lodged and popped holes in anything?
Yeah??

If not it could be a waste of time and money and a good second hand engine assembly will be the go.

If these checks pass, all g.