Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE rims and offsets.

villn808

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yea i will after the lowering. Im trying to drive it as little ass possible while looking like a 4wd ha. Can take one if ya wanna see it now

villn808

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ultra low kings and shocks ordered. Any one know a decent place to install them in Melbourne south east suburbs?

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
Sorry to hijack but I'm just trying to wrap my head around offsets and how to work them out. From what I can understand the lower the offset number is the further the wheel sticks out from the hub, and with a higher number vice versa?

I'm looking for rims for my ute and have found some I really like, but from what I can find the specs say that they have a offset of 20, which is low for a VE? This is the same offset on the 20x8.5 and the 20x10 size.

If anyone could help me it would be much appreciated, thanks :)

Todd

brasher

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
Sorry to hijack but I'm just trying to wrap my head around offsets and how to work them out. From what I can understand the lower the offset number is the further the wheel sticks out from the hub, and with a higher number vice versa?

I'm looking for rims for my ute and have found some I really like, but from what I can find the specs say that they have a offset of 20, which is low for a VE? This is the same offset on the 20x8.5 and the 20x10 size.

Todd

thats correct.

8.5 + 20 will sit dead flush with the front guard under load, you will need to run a 245 or narrower. I run 8.5 +23 front and it's bang on.

10 + 20, I've seen more aggressive fitted to VE, but would not advise to do so, will require running big stretch and a fair bit of guard pulling. I'd put that set on the backburner.

You can machine a small amount (a few mm at most) off the mounting pad of the rim, depending on the rim of course, this is how most "one off" sets are done.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997

Todd

A Lower Positive offset will protrude the wheel further out towards the edge of the guard and the Higher Positive offset will postion the wheel further inside the wheel well (and hence away from the guard).

The VEs run a high offset so the standard factory 19 inch rim is +48 mm offset. (The 18 inch factory wheels are also +48 mm offset)

To check how a new rim and tyre package will fit or not fit you can use the following calculator. On the left, type in the current tyre size and wheel size and offset and on the right side type in the new wheel size and offset and tyre size. The calculator will tell you how much further the new pachage will protrude or otherwise.
The calculator is here.........Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

For those that are interested there is also a very good thread on rim fitments on the US Pontiac G8 forum which is here.........Offset Reference Ranges - "Will it Fit?" - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

If you don't know the wheel offset on the wheels currently fitted, you will normally find it stamped on the inside of the wheel. By taking measurements with the current wheels and tyres on the car you can see how much space you have to play with inside the guards.

The rims you are looking at with the +20 offset will be designed to fit some BMW models and a few other cars . They are not suitable for VEs and I think the rear 10 inch rim in +20 offset will most likely protrude beyond the edge of the body work which (apart from major body work clearance issues ) makes the wheel fitment illegal in most Australian States as both the wheels and tyres must be contained within the body work - for obvious reasons.

The 9.5 inch HSV rims (with 275 wide tyres) used in the rears of various HSV models are about a +57 offset and fit nicely so you can see how far off the mark you will be with a 10 inch rim and a low +20 offset.

Last edited:

villn808

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Lower Positive offset will protrude the wheel further out towards the edge of the guard and the Higher Positive offset will postion the wheel further inside the wheel well (and hence away from the guard).

The VEs run a high offset so the standard factory 19 inch rim is +48 mm offset. (The 18 inch factory wheels are also +48 mm offset)

To check how a new rim and tyre package will fit or not fit you can use the following calculator. On the left, type in the current tyre size and wheel size and offset and on the right side type in the new wheel size and offset and tyre size. The calculator will tell you how much further the new pachage will protrude or otherwise.
The calculator is here.........Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

For those that are interested there is also a very good thread on rim fitments on the US Pontiac G8 forum which is here.........Offset Reference Ranges - "Will it Fit?" - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

If you don't know the wheel offset on the wheels currently fitted, you will normally find it stamped on the inside of the wheel. By taking measurements with the current wheels and tyres on the car you can see how much space you have to play with inside the guards.

The rims you are looking at with the +20 offset will be designed to fit some BMW models and a few other cars . They are not suitable for VEs and I think the rear 10 inch rim in +20 offset will most likely protrude beyond the edge of the body work which (apart from major body work clearance issues ) makes the wheel fitment illegal in most Australian States as both the wheels and tyres must be contained within the body work - for obvious reasons.

The 9.5 inch HSV rims (with 275 wide tyres) used in the rears of various HSV models are about a +57 offset and fit nicely so you can see how far off the mark you will be with a 10 inch rim and a low +20 offset.

Sean880 you are a knowledgable chap. And can't bring myself to post photos of SV6 pre lowering on the new wheels.

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
thats correct.

8.5 + 20 will sit dead flush with the front guard under load, you will need to run a 245 or narrower. I run 8.5 +23 front and it's bang on.

10 + 20, I've seen more aggressive fitted to VE, but would not advise to do so, will require running big stretch and a fair bit of guard pulling. I'd put that set on the backburner.

You can machine a small amount (a few mm at most) off the mounting pad of the rim, depending on the rim of course, this is how most "one off" sets are done.

Thanks mate, after posting this I looked at Potta's thread and saw he was running 9.5 all round with +22 offset and had to do a massive amount of guard work to get them to fit.

I forgot to post the wheel I am talking about is Giovanna Cuomo: GIOVANNA CUOMO BLACK Wheels - Buy GIOVANNA Wheels Online at Victoria Tire & Wheel

I may try emailing Giovanna about machining the hub for a one off set if it will raise the offset. If not ill just find another rim which will suck cos they are the first set I really liked haha

Thanks for the help mate, I understand how offsets work now haha I think I'll try find a rim that has a lower offset to push the wheel out a bit further under the guard for a nice stance when I lower it. Thanks again :)

brasher

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
for reference, I'm running 9.5 +25 on 245's in the rear and it misses my massaged/rolled guards by a bees dick (I'm talking literally 1mm) :)

So yeah, 9.5 +22 on potta's car would prove a headache.