Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE S2 REDLINE,16 wks for cable harness replace, 1 hr on road bent pushrod

2010SSVREDLINE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES II REDLINE
Hey all, first post ever… just wanted to post my experience with a WA Holden dealership service centre, won’t name the dealership just yet..

Right, early to mid November 2021, driving to work, car seems fine, few km down the road check engine, contact dealer on the dash, throttle seems to stick when foot taken off accelerator, press clutch to change down (niiingggggningggggggniiiing) car starts revving it’s tits off like I’m sitting on accelerator while clutching haha, get to the traffic lights, take it out of gear, she still revevving, pulled over when it was safe, 750M up the road, no signs of cylinder missfire, no ticks. Turn engine off, give it a couple minutes, turn it over, goes away. I continue to drive to work.

maybe 3-4km, electronics start turning off and on, contact dealer, flashing up on dash. **** me I think, finish half day of work, drive to next job (boss wouldn’t let me go get it sorted), 5-10km. Same thing.

the next day, drop her into Holden (always been dealer serviced, last 4-5 years at the same place, now there’s a new service manager, dunno about this Bloke), Bloke gets back to me a day later, saying, oil has pumped up through the back of the engine, soaking(and ruining) the cable wire harness. Says no stock ETA 6 weeks, no dramas I say, go ahead and order the parts, quoted 2800.

No courtesy car unfortunately, there never is, who the **** gets them then? Certainly a more loyal and higher paying customer…

6 weeks goes on, cable harness arrives, nope, “wrong harness was sent” isn’t compatible…. Sends it back, receives new one around 10 weeks…again, not compatible, then last week (start of April 2022) harness arrrives, it’s compatible, told the car will be ready in a day or two, (gonna throw in the 280,000km service in for free)beaaauty!!!

Been in a hire care until now $4000+ dollars later…

Pick her up; didn’t get a run through on what was fixed, paid $3510, $350 was for a new key and programming. Will post the quote and what was replaced/fixed once I go in tomorrow arvo.

right, straight off the lot, key just about snapped, was so excited to drive her again, NEVER EVER have I put steering wheel lock on, but it was so tight I had to use two hands to turn it, no exaggeration, tried old key and new key. Went for a drive to scarb and back home, parked her up(35 km maximum) , had a shower, NOTE: no ticking in engine at this point.

Right, off to swan view now, turn it over, nothing, no click, let the key return to its regular position, two seconds later it turns on??? I think wtf, running fine, at this stage I don’t know much about misfires or cars in general, not to mention 16 weeks away from her, don’t quite remember what normal felt like, been driving an i30 LOL. not even 10km down the road, CHECK ENGINE, stability control off, sounded like it had dropped a cylinder (know the sound from doing lifters at 120,000), I think fuckkkkkkk, immediately pull over, turn Off, fire it up after a few minutes and a phone call to the old man, belt a u turn, tick tick tick tick tick **** me I think, there’s the lifters. Almost home, maybe 1.5-2km from home (6km from initial faults)i Hear a massive SNAP, Kinda sounds like I’ve driven over a curb and mounted the undercarriage on it, was seriously worried now, I felt sick.

the next day, I plug in the scanner, turn the key, check engine, stability control off,
cylinder 6 misfire code;p0306 drop her straight to Holden, gets back to me after lunch, does not specify which cylinder is misfiring, nor do I say I plugged in a scanner (mate told me too, said they would try to **** me), asks me if I ever take it anywhere else, I said no, just here for the last 4-5 years(at this point I reckon he’s hearing cash registers and seeing dollar sign, scruge mcduck type ****) proceeds to tell me a pushrod is bent and lifters are gone, “common problem” with LS2 VE, wants to upgrade the cam with a slight performance package, get rid of the original ****, new pistons, coils etc etc etc don’t know what any of this **** means mate, just tell me the price, 10-12k quote, but won’t know for sure as they haven’t taken off the heads.

After just paying 3,5k for a 40 min drive (WHICH I DID NOT GIVE HER ****, WAS DRIVEN WELL, AS I HADENT DRIVEN MANUAL FOR 4 MONTHS) I’m fuming at this point… after just having a “major service” probably hooked up to the Holden diagnostic **** after plugging in and programming new ECU, and he Wants me to beleive, they couldn’t see problem arriving, timing being out, cleared errors or delayed them, I call bullshit; original problem was oil pumping thru back of engine, and then sitting for 16 weeks at dealers, hes telling me his mechanic didn’t hear it misfire? Or run a bit rough?? Not to mention, problem at hand(lifters due to timing being out) was not there when it was dropped in originally.

thoughts? How can it be acceptable to pay 3500 and it dies within 1 hours of driving time.

05777187-EB4C-48D7-816A-A7E6A07ED41C.jpeg
Will be speaking with service mananger/ second opinion(my choice would be Bill Lee, not open until Tuesday unfortunately) / consumer affairs WA if nothing is resolved to my liking.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
i would have been more concerned with the oil issue than the wiring issue
where exactly was oil pumping to

2010SSVREDLINE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES II REDLINE
i would have been more concerned with the oil issue than the wiring issue
where exactly was oil pumping to

All that was said was “oil had been pumping through the back of the engine, and had soaked the engine wire harness and this had ruined the ECM , a replacement was ordered. Won’t know until tomorrow after work.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Sounds like some weird fuckery going on. What was the ima when you left it v when you picked it up?
Why would you require a new key? The old key would have been fine. No need for a new one. ECM would have been set up independently to the key.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Get more information about how and where exactly the oil was pumping through the back of the engine. It doesn’t sound right. That would surely have resulted in low oil pressure. The loom is routed away from there if I’m not mistaken. The ECM located away from there and I’m not aware of any plugs that could even get soaked with oil being they are well sealed to water, let alone oil.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
the oil pressure switch's can leak over time maby it was just that leaking on its loom, the rest was a stuff around, looms run over the engine so not downward like the route any oil would take, also looms are wrapped in tape and sealed with conduit so shouldnt have any issues with weather/oil on them, cant say its all related but dosnt sound right

2010SSVREDLINE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES II REDLINE
Hey all, first post ever… just wanted to post my experience with a WA Holden dealership service centre, won’t name the dealership just yet..

Right, early to mid November 2021, driving to work, car seems fine, few km down the road check engine, contact dealer on the dash, throttle seems to stick when foot taken off accelerator, press clutch to change down (niiingggggningggggggniiiing) car starts revving it’s tits off like I’m sitting on accelerator while clutching haha, get to the traffic lights, take it out of gear, she still revevving, pulled over when it was safe, 750M up the road, no signs of cylinder missfire, no ticks. Turn engine off, give it a couple minutes, turn it over, goes away. I continue to drive to work.

maybe 3-4km, electronics start turning off and on, contact dealer, flashing up on dash. **** me I think, finish half day of work, drive to next job (boss wouldn’t let me go get it sorted), 5-10km. Same thing.

the next day, drop her into Holden (always been dealer serviced, last 4-5 years at the same place, now there’s a new service manager, dunno about this Bloke), Bloke gets back to me a day later, saying, oil has pumped up through the back of the engine, soaking(and ruining) the cable wire harness. Says no stock ETA 6 weeks, no dramas I say, go ahead and order the parts, quoted 2800.

No courtesy car unfortunately, there never is, who the **** gets them then? Certainly a more loyal and higher paying customer…

6 weeks goes on, cable harness arrives, nope, “wrong harness was sent” isn’t compatible…. Sends it back, receives new one around 10 weeks…again, not compatible, then last week (start of April 2022) harness arrrives, it’s compatible, told the car will be ready in a day or two, (gonna throw in the 280,000km service in for free)beaaauty!!!

Been in a hire care until now $4000+ dollars later…

Pick her up; didn’t get a run through on what was fixed, paid $3510, $350 was for a new key and programming. Will post the quote and what was replaced/fixed once I go in tomorrow arvo.

right, straight off the lot, key just about snapped, was so excited to drive her again, NEVER EVER have I put steering wheel lock on, but it was so tight I had to use two hands to turn it, no exaggeration, tried old key and new key. Went for a drive to scarb and back home, parked her up(35 km maximum) , had a shower, NOTE: no ticking in engine at this point.

Right, off to swan view now, turn it over, nothing, no click, let the key return to its regular position, two seconds later it turns on??? I think wtf, running fine, at this stage I don’t know much about misfires or cars in general, not to mention 16 weeks away from her, don’t quite remember what normal felt like, been driving an i30 LOL. not even 10km down the road, CHECK ENGINE, stability control off, sounded like it had dropped a cylinder (know the sound from doing lifters at 120,000), I think fuckkkkkkk, immediately pull over, turn Off, fire it up after a few minutes and a phone call to the old man, belt a u turn, tick tick tick tick tick **** me I think, there’s the lifters. Almost home, maybe 1.5-2km from home (6km from initial faults)i Hear a massive SNAP, Kinda sounds like I’ve driven over a curb and mounted the undercarriage on it, was seriously worried now, I felt sick.

the next day, I plug in the scanner, turn the key, check engine, stability control off,
cylinder 6 misfire code;p0306 drop her straight to Holden, gets back to me after lunch, does not specify which cylinder is misfiring, nor do I say I plugged in a scanner (mate told me too, said they would try to **** me), asks me if I ever take it anywhere else, I said no, just here for the last 4-5 years(at this point I reckon he’s hearing cash registers and seeing dollar sign, scruge mcduck type ****) proceeds to tell me a pushrod is bent and lifters are gone, “common problem” with LS2 VE, wants to upgrade the cam with a slight performance package, get rid of the original ****, new pistons, coils etc etc etc don’t know what any of this **** means mate, just tell me the price, 10-12k quote, but won’t know for sure as they haven’t taken off the heads.

After just paying 3,5k for a 40 min drive (WHICH I DID NOT GIVE HER ****, WAS DRIVEN WELL, AS I HADENT DRIVEN MANUAL FOR 4 MONTHS) I’m fuming at this point… after just having a “major service” probably hooked up to the Holden diagnostic **** after plugging in and programming new ECU, and he Wants me to beleive, they couldn’t see problem arriving, timing being out, cleared errors or delayed them, I call bullshit; original problem was oil pumping thru back of engine, and then sitting for 16 weeks at dealers, hes telling me his mechanic didn’t hear it misfire? Or run a bit rough?? Not to mention, problem at hand(lifters due to timing being out) was not there when it was dropped in originally.

thoughts? How can it be acceptable to pay 3500 and it dies within 1 hours of driving time.

View attachment 236287 Will be speaking with service mananger/ second opinion(my choice would be Bill Lee, not open until Tuesday unfortunately) / consumer affairs WA if nothing is resolved to my liking.
Right, so, the oil pressure sensor has failed, and pumped oil all the the cable wiring harness, and “over time oil decays things; and in this case has decayed the wiring of the harness” causing the first issue that put it into the workshop.

Now, the issue that I’ve had, a lifter has failed and the pushrod has been bent. Apparently unrelated to the other issue, apparently… thoughts,
Here’s the repair bill that I just paid.
43489F6F-4360-4E0C-AB63-666A750E9397.jpeg

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Surely you must have noticed a large puddle of oil under the car where you park?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I can understand oil getting onto the wiring loom eating away at the insulation which causes issues including bouncing on the rev limit at the lights… It seemed to be diagnosed quickly as needing a new loom but when did they diagnose a new ECU was needed. Why was a new key needed? And why didn‘t you go back to them as soon as you tried to start the car when the key almost snapped?

It sounds a bit confusing and you should try and contain your excitement at getting your baby back and not driven off so quickly.

Good you didn’t loose control when hitting the rev limit as it could have been easy to scrape the car along a section of Armco in your panic. If that occured your baby could have been totalled :confused::rolleyes:

PS: If you were quoted $2800 for the repair, why did you pay $3500 odd?

Last edited: