Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Series 2 ABS/ESP off - no codes, changed rear sensors and still not fixed

jeffmills69

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Wagon
Had a search on the forum already but figured I'd ask again,

I've replaced the rear sensors and it didn't fix the issue, scanned the ABS and no codes came up (might be the scanner I guess). I did recently change the front hubs but they're plugged in and appear fine.. Would it be possible to simply keep the new hubs on and just plug the old ones in, start the car and see if it sorts itself out?

If not, how do you actually check to see if the wires have come out of back of the plug on the rear sensors?

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
if there are no codes then it is most likely a weak battery issue
what scan tool are you using
if it can display live data. monitor wheel sensors while driving very slowly

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
What scanner are you using? It may only display engine codes and not ABS codes as well.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Have you checked the wiring harness to the rear sensors for damage?

Reactions: Lex

jeffmills69

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Wagon
if there are no codes then it is most likely a weak battery issue
what scan tool are you using
if it can display live data. monitor wheel sensors while driving very slowly
What scanner are you using? It may only display engine codes and not ABS codes as well.

Launch U600, it can read 17 things but doesn't seem to have ABS or wheel speed sensor data

Have you checked the wiring harness to the rear sensors for damage?

I have and it appears intact, if it was a completely failed sensor would the ABS light constantly be on? As for some reason the car has decided to not come up with an ABS fault on every start again though it will happen after a few seconds or minutes

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
Best get it scanned by someone who has a scan tool that reads live data, that will tell is if and what sensors aren't reading.
I have repaired several ve's with rear sensor faults, I normally unplug the 4 pin plug that goes to both rear sensors then use a multimeter to check resistance of each sensor. Each side uses a black and grey wire. This will tell you straight away if a sensor is faulty or if you have damaged wiring in the harness. If the resistance of one sensor is not close to the other then you have a faulty sensor, if you have no resistance on one or both sensors then there is damaged wiring.

Normally the damaged wiring is close to the 4 pin plug or the 2 pin plugs close to the sensors, just undo the plugs and remove the insulation tape and conduit. Then give the bare wires a bit of a tug and they will normally snap if they are damaged. Last VE i fixed the 2 wires broke right at each sensor.

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L
Launch U600, it can read 17 things but doesn't seem to have ABS or wheel speed sensor data
Go to Autobarn, super cheap etc, they do scans for like $5 & they’ve usually got decent scanners (at least the SC near my place does)

jeffmills69

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Wagon
Best get it scanned by someone who has a scan tool that reads live data, that will tell is if and what sensors aren't reading.
I have repaired several ve's with rear sensor faults, I normally unplug the 4 pin plug that goes to both rear sensors then use a multimeter to check resistance of each sensor. Each side uses a black and grey wire. This will tell you straight away if a sensor is faulty or if you have damaged wiring in the harness. If the resistance of one sensor is not close to the other then you have a faulty sensor, if you have no resistance on one or both sensors then there is damaged wiring.

Normally the damaged wiring is close to the 4 pin plug or the 2 pin plugs close to the sensors, just undo the plugs and remove the insulation tape and conduit. Then give the bare wires a bit of a tug and they will normally snap if they are damaged. Last VE i fixed the 2 wires broke right at each sensor.

Finally got around to having a look, firstly unplugged each front sensor into the hub/sensor I replaced them with and light still came on while cycling ignition so ruling the front 2 out, both rear plugs at the sensor appeared fine but didn't realise there was a 4-pin connecting them further up.. where abouts is it?

I also checked dc voltage in each plug and they were as follows:

Fr .766
Fl .655

Rr .222
Rl 1.152

There seems to be a bit of a disparity in voltage being sent to the rear which seems a bit odd.. so I guess next is looking at the 4-pin. I guess I could also test the resistance of the sensors while spinning each hub or is it as easy as just testing the resistance without spinning em? I got a bit confused and was testing the plugs instead of the sensors, also didn't have a 2nd person available so didn't try