Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Snapped Key

Vqst8ocaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ 5L caprice
ok,snapped my key but can start car by holding stub of key from remote in pliers and use the end of the pliers to to turn the key in the ignition and it starts,if i just turn the key and don't have the stub connected to the pliers it wont start.Now I have taken the remote apart,the key end of the remote appears to be pretty simple,can i just get a new key cut and put it back in the remote,will it work?Holden wanted $230 to sort it out,I'm in Adelaide,anyone know the cheapest way around this??

Major Herbie

Reaction score
Members Ride
'10 Pontiac G8 Manual '10 VE SV6 Manual
Have a look on EBay, I've seen just the key part for $25 with free postage awhile ago. After that you could just go to a locksmith and have them copy it to the new key head.

As long as you don't replace the part with the circuits then it'll work fine.

Nfsve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
I think the Key still needs to be programmed by Holden, even after being cut by a locksmith, even if you use your old circuit board.

Major Herbie

Reaction score
Members Ride
'10 Pontiac G8 Manual '10 VE SV6 Manual
I think the Key still needs to be programmed by Holden, even after being cut by a locksmith, even if you use your old circuit board.

Should just be a simple fit, if you pull apart your key you'll see the key part is just plastic attached to the bottom and there's nothing inside it. It's the other side with the buttons that have all the cool shiny bits that turn on the car.

Super_Low 91

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR
Should just be a simple fit, if you pull apart your key you'll see the key part is just plastic attached to the bottom and there's nothing inside it. It's the other side with the buttons that have all the cool shiny bits that turn on the car.

Depends whether op has a flip key or not, in the flip key the transponder is in the front part next to the spring.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Since you are in Adelaide you have access to one of the best Auto Locksmiths in the country - Millswood Locksmiths at 210 Good wood Road Millswood (at the western side top of the subway). They can be contacted on 83735090. If you wish to call into their premises you can only enter off Grantley Avenue then Arundel Avenue. Good luck.