Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS Cop Car

metalfossil

Reaction score
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm thinking of purchasing a 12 month old VE SS ex cop car. It's done just over 47,000 ks. Anything I should be looking out for. Do these things really have any mods.....and why is there a battery in the boot?

Thanks

TumTum

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY9.5 VE SV6 Ute, 2001 VXII Berlina Sed
I'm not an expert on this subject, but can chuck in my 2c worth.. Firstly, check the contract of sale papers as some warranties (you know, the statutory used car warranty) are voided if the car was ex emergency services/taxi/fleet. Second, as it was a Police vehicle, there will be numerous interior holes and changes due to the number of devices fitted while the car was in service. Things to look out for would be holes/marks from labels etc in the dash/panels/trims, wear on the seats - esp. driver's side from belts/holsters. If the car was a marked vehicle (i.e. Highway Patrol), check for shadows on the paint form the decals - esp. if it's white. Police cars generally are 'loved' by their drivers, but that won't stop them being gunned from 0-100kph in an emergency from a cold start at 4 in the morning. It's not "nice" to do that, but the car doesn't have a choice! So, look out for abnormal engine wear, oil leaks and general "I haven't been taken care of" symptoms. Police cars are serviced regularly, but no amount of servicing can make up for unavoidable thrashing. If you're asking about the battery inside a panel on the left side of the boot, that's where all VE sedan batteries are. Any extra battery would have been for the extra electronic gear fitted while the car was in service. I'm not so sure about the mods done to Police cars these days, but there would have been a lot changed when they removed their gear and it should theoretically be mostly stock again (unless they're tuned etc). Hopefully others here can shed more light on the subject.

metalfossil

Reaction score
LOL!!! :D

Maybe you should check out some of the feautres of the VE before looking into the details of cop car mods.

DOH!......Sheepish Grin. Owned six Commodores and never seen a battery in a boot.:rofl2:

metalfossil

Reaction score
I'm not an expert on this subject, but can chuck in my 2c worth.. Firstly, check the contract of sale papers as some warranties (you know, the statutory used car warranty) are voided if the car was ex emergency services/taxi/fleet. Second, as it was a Police vehicle, there will be numerous interior holes and changes due to the number of devices fitted while the car was in service. Things to look out for would be holes/marks from labels etc in the dash/panels/trims, wear on the seats - esp. driver's side from belts/holsters. If the car was a marked vehicle (i.e. Highway Patrol), check for shadows on the paint form the decals - esp. if it's white. Police cars generally are 'loved' by their drivers, but that won't stop them being gunned from 0-100kph in an emergency from a cold start at 4 in the morning. It's not "nice" to do that, but the car doesn't have a choice! So, look out for abnormal engine wear, oil leaks and general "I haven't been taken care of" symptoms. Police cars are serviced regularly, but no amount of servicing can make up for unavoidable thrashing. If you're asking about the battery inside a panel on the left side of the boot, that's where all VE sedan batteries are. Any extra battery would have been for the extra electronic gear fitted while the car was in service. I'm not so sure about the mods done to Police cars these days, but there would have been a lot changed when they removed their gear and it should theoretically be mostly stock again (unless they're tuned etc). Hopefully others here can shed more light on the subject.

Thanks for that. I will definitely be checking out all those points; especially the warranty advice.

RUF-60L

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SS
i have an ex cop car...although they neglected to tell me it was when i was looking at it...they made up some BS story about who owned it last and y they could afford to sell it so cheap. but so far so good, only had one problem with it so far, but according to a few experts it was a pretty rare problem (harmonic balancer wasnt sitting square and vibrated both belts off) but i got the car for cheap (under 30k a year old) so paying $600 to have that repaired is nothing really.

metalfossil

Reaction score
i have an ex cop car...although they neglected to tell me it was when i was looking at it...they made up some BS story about who owned it last and y they could afford to sell it so cheap. but so far so good, only had one problem with it so far, but according to a few experts it was a pretty rare problem (harmonic balancer wasnt sitting square and vibrated both belts off) but i got the car for cheap (under 30k a year old) so paying $600 to have that repaired is nothing really.

Yeah, dealer says I can have this for under thirty as well (with trade in). Books reflect that it was a highway patrol car stationed at Brunswick here in Victoria. It has a few marks inside; nothin major though....

Just wondering didn't the warranty cover the HB?

pepstar87

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 SSV M6
Cop cars aren't modded, atleast not in NSW anyway.
I know I wouldn't buy one though..

metalfossil

Reaction score
Cop cars aren't modded, atleast not in NSW anyway.
I know I wouldn't buy one though..

The salesman reckons it has extra airbags in the rear and a modded suspension. 50/50 in the i wouldn't have one/I'd love one dept so far

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp

Some experts, that's a very common issue.